ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 513 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
When I inspected buildings I used a small bottle of white auto touchup paint to mark the GFCI's so that I could find them in other locations. This was one way of finding the cheaters in New Haven, CT years ago!

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
S
Inasmuch as point of use protection is valid in the US, i would forward the European differentail system mitigates many electrical woes back to the circuit's source

they evolved systemic changes, while we entertained bandaids to our exiting system

~S~

M
I think we have gone over the top with GFCI protection. There are just so many cases where the likleyhood of a shock is really low or unlikely.
The latest is our recent requirment to require GFCI protection at all sinks within 1.5 meters of any sink.
Why? Before you jump to answer because of the water you need to remember electricity needs a fault path even to a wet person. The power still has to go through the person before there is a shock. A well bonded sink may carry power back to the neutral to trip an OC device but would you really get electrocuted in a kitchen if you stuck 1 hand in the water to pull the toaster out of it?
I doubt I would volunteer for that experiment but at the same time I am having a problem with the current path. from the toaster to the water. If the sink is bonded then from the water to the ground and neutral. The current then might be high enough to trip a regular breaker but what if the sink is plumbed with plastic? Then from the toaster to the water and then through you to where? If I was barefoot on my wood or lenoleum floor how does the electricity flow from me? To where? I have touched live wires and not gotten a shock if I am properly insulated and isolated.
It seems the only proof of hazard is an outlet near water.
I recently read a story that an electrical engineer claimed to his daughter that she could throw the radio in the tub and dad would not be injured like they show in the movies.
I can't remember of she ever tried it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard