ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 373 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
I went for the "low tech" option with my desk-top computer here.
I have the Line out feeding the auxillary input of a 1980's Philips "ghetto-blaster" radio/cassette unit (remember them?).
This has treble, bass and balance knobs and a knob that you can adjust the sound all the way from Mono through to "Spatial Stereo", this has to be heard to be believed.
They just don't make gear like this any more, what's more it didn't cost me a cent, it was going to be thrown out as it didn't work.
I soldered one of the secondary wires from the transformer back on to the main PCB and we were in business again.
Here's a picture of it:

[Linked Image from i89.photobucket.com]

G

Greg Fretwell
Damn,
That is a NICE bit of kit, Greg,
Was there much wrong with it?

G
Just a few scratches on the case. It seems fine. This was my wife's HOA and they just wanted something smaller and lighter for outside events. Most of the time they are using the "house" PA system anyway. That is probably not as nice an amp as this but they are pretty dumb there. Easy seems better than "better" to them.

Greg Fretwell
Broom Pusher and
Awesome Score Greg!
Cosmetic imperfections mean nothing, with a solid Power output!

Mike,

I like your Ghetto Blaster version!
Those Tweeter Horns must spread the high ends quite well!
The Voice Coils on the large Speakers appear to be 35 Watt (sizes in Image compared to Tape Deck Take-Up Reels).

You Guys have me contemplating a "Beefier" Audio System for my PC...
Have a 200 Watt x 4 Channel Audio Power Amp collecting dust, which might find its self driving some custom boxes very soon!

-- Scott

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
G
I have 3 PCs in the house that are primarily media boxes so they are all hooked to something. The "TV" PC goes into my big screen that also feeds a number of smaller "PC speakers" around the house and the RF for my head set. The inside music PC feeds that big honker amp and the one on the tiki bar outside feeds a fairly modest amp that drives a couple of big old disco era speakers loud enough to disturb the neighbors if I want. ... and the nearest one is 300' away.

Greg Fretwell
Hey Scott!,
Yeah this radio unit, for the size of it is rated at 55W RMS.
I've used it the odd time as a make-shift bass amp during jams at work on a Friday night, with a 5-string bass on the end of it (quite an ask for a thing with such small speakers) but it sounds great, it's handy to have some sort of tone-shaping available over what the guitar gives you.

I just wish someone could teach the manager of the Fitters how to sing! crazy grin

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard