ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Y
yorky Offline OP
Voice communication speakers operating at 70volts, we have always pulled wires into conduits with our audible and visible signals( bells/Strobes ). I have been told this is no longer allowed but no one can give me a specific code and rule that says we are not to do this. Do we now have to run a seperate raceway for the 70volt speakers for the Fire alarm?

Maybe your answer will be in one of these standards
i dont think they are cheap though
http://www.cfaa.ca/codesandstandardsupdate.html

J
One of the documents you are asking about is CAN/ULC-S524. But you need to know which edition is being enforced in your area, as there is 2001 and a 2006 edition.

If you do a lot of fire alarm work this document is a necessity. You can also refer to manufacturers installation recommendation- as you are required to install to these instructions anyways. The system representative should give you the documentation for signal zone wiring.

I can quote CAN/ULC-S524-01
"The installation of all field wiring shall be in accordance with CSA C22.1 Canadian Electrical Code, Part 1, Section 32. When multiple conductors are installed in same raceway, the operation of one circuit shall not affect the operation of another circuit."

General guidelines only, this is why you are also required to follow manufacturers installation rules.

Link Copied to Clipboard