ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 541 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 15 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 14 15
H
John,

Sorry I didn't jump in earlier, been very busy lately. As for poor writing skills. As I e-mailed you. The one EC wrote down on his permit and I quote! "Let Harold fill it, I don't know what to put down."

It seems that he was moving electrical equipment for a pool, so when I called him up I had to ask him just what he was doing. The conversation went something like this.

Me: "Jim, what exactly are you doing with this pool."
him: "Moving equipment"
Me: "Did you move the motor?"
Him" Yes"
Me: "Did you move the pool heater?"
Him: "Yes"
Me: " What else did you move?"
Him: "That's all"
Me: "Why didn't you just write that down on your permit?"
Him: "I didn't know what to write."
Me: "You do now."

You got to love it.

Harold:

At least he gave you a note! 'Blank' techs (items/work description) show up once or twice a week. The occasionsl tech with only the ECs name, address, lic. # and signature/seal....and nothing else. Let that fall into the wrong hands.

Lately, the legibility of the writing is terrible! Job descriptions like 'as per prints', not 1 thing listed. Or the best is 'whatever is required by code'. Now these are not 'newbies', it's a mix of all. Then someone cries as to why it takes so long to process a permit package.

John
S
[Linked Image from i104.photobucket.com]

all my AHJ's have e-mail......

~S~

~s~:
Yes, I have email also.

IF the sparkies write their email address on the app package, I prefer to email comments. It's fast, convenient, and saves postage delays and cost.

That said, plans from design professionals have to be signed and sealed, and as of now, electronic (PDF attachments) are not acceptable by State law.

PS: I may ask you for details on the trapeeze! Rod, clamps, strut size, etc.

Stay safe

John
S
~s~:
Yes, I have email also.

IF the sparkies write their email address on the app package, I prefer to email comments. It's fast, convenient, and saves postage delays and cost.

agreed it just saves time, and explains a lot more...

That said, plans from design professionals have to be signed and sealed, and as of now, electronic (PDF attachments) are not acceptable by State law.

all they really seem to want is an engineer involved here, they (the state) really don't review 'plans' i might submit

they would simply claim 'i should know what i'm doing' , call for an inspection when you're done.

but there's so many grey area's that are up to AHJ interpetation i'm uncomfortable with that, so i just have these open invites with them, and e-mail the latest for their purusal

PS: I may ask you for details on the trapeeze! Rod, clamps, strut size, etc.

rod clamps are rated for 500lbs static, rod is 3/8"x16, clamps are the two piece w/bolt, strut is beeline fat variety (i think it's 1 5/8") the whole deal calculates out to about 200lb's a ft, or 2000 lb's in ten feet

i'm worried about the roof, snow load, etc...

Stay safe

sincerely trying, old habits die hard....

~S~

~s~:

Based on the detail submitted in the above response, your plan and electrical permit are approved for issuance.

Please submit the total fee of $1645.00 via check or money order. Cash or plastic is not accepted. Permit counter hours are 8:00 to 4:30PM.

Have a good day.

John
Cat Servant
Oh, yea ... be sure to bring quarters for the parking meter. The areas around government buildings have the only parking meters in town, and rates are higher the closer you are to "mandatory" places like the courts.

Just a little nudge from your locked-in civil servants, to remind you that you're going to come here- unlike the poor stiffs at the shopping mall, who actually have to WANT you to come.

As for our 'no cash' policy .... when we printed 'good for all debts' on it, we were only joking.

Last edited by renosteinke; 08/03/11 08:57 AM.
Reno:

Yes, there may be some munis that have metered parking, the ones I am familiar with around here have ample parking for free. Large cities (ie: Newark, Jersey City) have meter and parking lot only.

A side note: NJ beaches (95%+) require beach bages for a fee to get on the beach. Most beach towns have parking meters or kiosk units. One town I'm close to gets $1.50/hr at the kiosk.

As to 'no cash'...I agree with you on 'all debts, public and private' but..I only work here, I do not write the rules!!

John
H
I too have e-mail and in all my towns, the parking is free near the town hall. Except that 1 town hall has a very small lot and you have to come in early to get the space.

H
Just to clear up my last post, I have e-mail in my large town only. Not in all towns, but I have office hours in each town.

Page 6 of 15 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard