ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#202047 07/13/11 04:53 PM
S
Anyone know on the "net" where I could find a wiremold bender? I clicked on the wiremold site, but couldn't find it?? Thanks a lot.

sparkync:

Going by memory, either a 1/2 or 3/4 EMT bender will work....with patience and taking your time. I did saddle type bends & box type offsets trouble free.

Did ya try to google it?

John
T
Benfield made a special bender, squared, for Wiremold.

It's referenced in the Benfield bending manual.

I suspect that such a bender has not been cast in twenty years.

You might well consider making your own out of layered hardwood.

All of the critical surfaces are straight -- so it's pure carpentry.

Tesla
N

S
I have used a 1/2" emt bender many times, but as said, it leaves a rounded or flat section on the wiremold. I was thinking of doing it more "professional". The link that was posted doesn't show any pictures and with a "non returnable" clause makes one wonder the credibility of it. I am totally surprized that it is not a standard tool. I thought I was just being "cheap" all these years by not trying to purchase one. I recently seen some wiremold bent in a former "Ryans" restraunt that looked pretty neat. I didn't notice any rounded corners or such like.
In my endeavors, maybe my problem has been using a 1/2" bender instead of a 3/4". I try that next time unless I can find the real thing:) Thanks for the replies
And yes John I did try to google it and came up with nothing as yet. I guess I can make my own and put a patent on it and make millions then I want have to bend it anymore:)

Last edited by sparkync; 07/14/11 11:46 AM.
V

Last edited by Vindiceptor; 07/14/11 12:00 PM.
K
As far as I know, the Wiremold 600B [500/700] bender is still available, although they can be hard to find. I see them come up for sale on eBay every once in a while.
I had to special order one myself about 10-years ago for a job with a lot of #500, but haven’t really used it much since then.
IMO, it’s expensive for what it is, which is basically just a short radius shoe that is similar to the old Klein/Benfield short radius bender, just with a modified square hook. Actually, if you have one of the old Klein two groove 1/2" and 3/4" short radius benders, I found that it will also work on 500 and 700 wiremold. It’s still allowed to be used for this purpose, since the radius of bends for surface metal raceways isn’t addressed in NEC 386.
I find that you can make longer radius bends with a standard EMT bender lined with an old T-shirt that will look decent, but it leaves a slightly bigger gap between the wall and the back of the raceway. You just have to go slow so you don’t get wrinkles or dogleg twists in the wiremold.

These suppliers also say they have it for sale:

bender1

bender2

bender3

Sparkync:

Kjays links all seem to be in the same $$ range, and have details. #2 even has a link to the instructions from Wiremold.

Have you tried sending Mr Bill (webmaster here) an email regarding this? He may be able to get it for you, or may even have it in stock! The store here is 100% legit, and ships quick.

John

Link Copied to Clipboard