ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 561 guests, and 34 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
gfretwell #202008 07/08/11 05:21 PM
G
I will say, If you defy the listing and directly glue the Carflex in an FS box, continue your defiance and use primer. wink

I know from "spaflex", the white equivalent, Pool installers will tell you the primer is as important as the cement.

Most inspectors I know would question that installation tho. As "crappy" as the Carlon connector might be, it is the only listed solution.
It should be noted that Carlon does say you can direct glue ENT in their boxes and fittings. I was surprised when I read that in light of the Carflex thing.

Greg Fretwell
gfretwell #202012 07/08/11 08:39 PM

Here's NEMA's take on the use of primer:
http://www.udevices.com/pdf/solvent.pdf

Electrical PVC cement comes in 3 flavors; Regular, Medium, and Heavy Bodied.
The Heavy Bodied cement is recommended for larger pipe sizes, it has a longer cure time (hence more time to fit the conduit), and easier fills the voids between the socket and the conduit.

I've tried all kinds of primer/glue combinations with Carflex, always with unsatisfactory results. The glue just doesn't stick to the Carflex.

I guess that's why the make the cheap plastic fittings.

gfretwell #202015 07/08/11 09:30 PM
G
NEMA seems to be saying PVC cement is a generic product regulated by ASTM D 2564.

Selection of Solvent Cement
Solvent cements intended for use with PVC conduit and duct should meet all
the applicable requirements of ASTM D 2564, “Solvent Cements for Poly(Vinyl
Chloride) (PVC) Plastic Piping Systems.” Since they are available in a wide
range of viscosities and wet film thicknesses, the nature of the particular project
must be considered when trying to decide between a regular, medium, or
heavy-bodied cement.

Greg Fretwell
gfretwell #202016 07/08/11 09:33 PM
G
Here comes another question. If Cement is Cement, how about the 10 second blue?

Greg Fretwell
KJay #202019 07/10/11 05:34 AM
S
I did get off subject. My bad. I don not use primer. I clean the pipe if needed then a generous amount of glue on both pieces and do a little twist when putting them together.

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
gfretwell #202020 07/10/11 09:10 AM
Cat Servant
" the nature of the particular project
must be considered"

Everyone likes to hear that they're right, but I never expected NEMA to state exactly what I did in my earlier post!

As for connecting the plastic flex directly to b oxes, etc., without using connectors, I vaguely recall reading a UL statement somewhere -perhaps UL "Question Corner" in the IAEI magazine?- that the stuff was listed for connecting that way. I was surprised when I read that, as not using a connector seems to go against everything I've ever done with other wiring methods.

I must object to the very idea that doing something with "brand A" might be OK, but not with "brand B." Life is complicated enough without opening the door to THAT form of BS- especially when you consider the plain illiteracy of so much that's printed.

I recall an ad campaign where the voice-over asserted that 'the eggs are from real chickens, the juice from real oranges, and the sausage is from Jimmy Dean.' Really? With all the sausage made, Jimmy must have been one very large man! Sort of puts "Girl Scout Cookies" in a new light too, but I wonder .....

renosteinke #202090 07/16/11 09:01 AM
S
Electrical PVC cement comes in 3 flavors; Regular, Medium, and Heavy Bodied.

with a smokey oak bouquet.......?

seriously, here's a consideration..... UG installs here are expected to leak , thus the URD, or THWN , rated for wet location wire

so.....for the part of UG installs exclusively underground , why glue anything underground at all?~S~

gfretwell #202091 07/16/11 12:14 PM
G
"Leak"? maybe but you don't want it to pull apart.

Greg Fretwell
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard