ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
M
Merlin Offline OP
Can anyone tell me what the code is on a old home with 2 wire romex? I was in one today that someone has installed 3 prong outlets in some locations. The inspector thinks it needs rewired to meet code. I can't remember what the proper way to address this situation is.

Also, the bathroom has no outlets at all. Will one need to be installed to meet current code?

Thanks, Merlin.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
You can use GFCIs, add grounds or rewire.

Greg Fretwell
G
The bathroom needs a 20A GFCI receptacle adjacent to the basin. You probably need the 20a small appliance circuits in the kitchen and the 20a in the laundry too if this is really an old house

Greg Fretwell
G
Just to nit-pic my friend Greg this morning I know he meant to say the bathroom needs a 20a. circuit not a 20a. receptacle. The other option on the "3-prong receptacles" would be he can replace the receptacles with "2-prong receptacles" in some areas based on 406.3(D)(3). Sorry Greg, but I am in a feisty mood today.

George Little
Merlin:

What code did the inspector reference??

John
G
George is right, you could just run one new 20a circuit and pick up other loads in the bathroom. I was just thinking about the fastest way to get legal. Usually in a "happy days" era house the bathroom will be on a circuit with whatever was close and not anticipating much load. There might only be a 1-15 in the light over the mirror. That was usually going to be an electric razor, maybe a toothbrush charger but that was an afterthought.
Then they invented the hair dryer wink

Greg Fretwell
S
The Q of grounding becomes even more interesting when considering older nm's undersized grounding conductor, or having it installed via the 'Boston Backwrap' under the clamp of a metal box

Then there is the BX issue

In either case, it could be argued that a false ground is present

just because a meter indicates a grounding conductor doesn't mean it'll clear ground faults....

L
Sparky, The undersized ground is something I never thought about.

How does one approach that? treat it as no ground?
The back wrap I have treated as none present.

S
Originally Posted by leland
Sparky, The undersized ground is something I never thought about.

How does one approach that? treat it as no ground?
The back wrap I have treated as none present.

well having done more renos that there is ascii , or anyone's patience to really ramble on about, i would suggect making the most out of what grounding conductors are present, with consideration to it's efficay

for instance, most backwraps can unwound , and terminated to the box / device / made a solid grounding circuit

it'll still be undersized, so i wouldn't count on it to clear a dead short, but this is where i've many times introduced the mighty (read; slices, dices, makes julian fries) AFCI

iirc, they have a 30ma threshold, not quite the pita a 5ma GFCI breaker would introduce on older cicuitry, but just enough to walk away with some level of confidence

install your two banger receptacles, and let the mice have at it...

~S~

Link Copied to Clipboard