ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by HotLine1 - 04/23/24 02:17 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 231 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Thanks Don!

(Another reason to look into getting those UL books)

Do fixtures always have to be supported by the attachment to a box? Or can they be supported independently from the box, as is the case with some Ceiling Fans?

Bill

Bill
S
370-27(a), new EX allows in 99' hanging a fixture from 6-32's ( listing observed)

410-16(a) basically tells us 50 lbs, use something other than the box ( listing observed again) but makes no bones about this practice applying to less than 50 lbs.
[Linked Image]

M
I use aluminum weatherproof boxes on exterior stucco walls mounted to the sheathing. The foam and stucco ends up just shy of the rim and can be used for weather proof fixtures or sconces and is easy to clean up what stucco is on the rim and inside the box.

Mike Wescoatt
Mike,

Welcome!
You must be a west-coaster, [Linked Image] We don't do much stucco where I am (NY) That must be great to be able to position a box and leave it there.

Our finished surfaces are usually vinyl siding or wood shingles. Basically an uneven surface. It usually takes a little jockeying around to find the best place to mount the box, even with the vinyl fixture blocks.

[Linked Image]
Bill

Bill
M
Pretty close to the West Coast... Las Vegas (we get about 6000 new residents a month... The housebuilders, and electricians, have plenty of work) An old house around here is anything built before 1990...
I started in Salt Lake City where many houses are built out of two layers of brick. EMT and weatherproof boxes are pretty normal for those applications.

Mike Wescoatt
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard