ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 403 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
T
EVERY gen-set I've ever had to hook-up used a circuit to pre-warm/ always keep warm the generator's oil and block.

Coming up to operating temps took virtually no time at all -- ever....

It was established that the gen-sets would be tested -- for real -- during the off hours -- i.e. the weekend by security -- by throwing a single double throw breaker.

No additional 'ttrick' loading gear was necessary.

As for engine efficiency ... no one gave a dang....

Since the gen-set was a freakish -- rare eventuality.

Some gen-sets were nat-gas powered -- but REAL emergency power was always diesel fueled. In the event of an earthquake - forget about pipes!

Tesla
T
twh Offline
Do you think that if this information was readily available, users would stop actually doing scheduled maintenance because the system reads 'ok'?
The testing procedure depends on who makes the rules and who does the work. A maintenance person making the rules doesn't have authority to shut down operations to do a live test and won't get paid overtime to do the test after hours. However, a maintenance manager who has a management level worker who doesn't get paid extra for call-ins, might (and did) make a rule that a live test be carried out before regular hours, weekly, for one hour. What is predictable is when the generator doesn't work, the maintenance log will show the system said it was okay.

J
Not looking for anything. Just indicating what we do weekly and monthly to maintain our units.

You also note our units are rated for standby power and not rated life and safety. I believe L&F units must be run once a week for 15 minutes.

Last edited by jdevlin; 06/29/11 12:40 PM.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard