ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 273 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Z
zng Offline OP
Hi all,
I have a product to regulate the voltage that feeds streetlights of mercury vapour and high preasure sodium. I need to know what is the overvoltage level on the street lights at night to calculate energy savings when power is regulated. In other countries power is not stable at all, how is it in USA?

if the street lights circuit is 240VAC will it go to 250, 260 or at what level during the night?

same for 277VAC and 480VAC.

Most streetlighting here is utility owned & maintained, and not within the realms of electrical contractors.

You indicate your location as Miami, Florida, so based on this...why do you ask "how is it in USA?"

Please re-read the regulations of this forum!!

John
Cat Servant
Our power is the best in the world ... and we're getting rid of those obsolete lights as fast as we can.

W
Zng, this really isn't the right forum for your question, but as a courtesy I can give you some numbers. ECN is for electricians who do and to discuss electrical work for homes, factories, offices and other private users of electricity.

Most streetlights are maintained by the power companies for the towns they are in. Most operate on 120V. Our voltages are will regulated, usually from 117 to 125VAC. The specification for service says 110V to 125V. Though rarely I've seen 132V (not because of a bad neutral, but because of a power company error), (it can't get much higher than that, as the power company transformers' cores would go into saturation) and as low as 105V (hot summer day, when the power company is trying to avoid a blackout but is losing the battle). Oh, sometimes lightning will hit a line, but you should see the same sort of event in your home country.

I believe we discussed this subject several years back- don't pocos try and maintain nominal volts @ ± 4%?

Wood work but can't!
M
Originally Posted by HotLine1
Most streetlighting here is utility owned & maintained, and not within the realms of electrical contractors.

You indicate your location as Miami, Florida, so based on this...why do you ask "how is it in USA?"

Please re-read the regulations of this forum!!

sort of stupid question but is there any difference from a HPS fixture installed by an electrical contractor in a store parking lot from one installed on the street next to the store by the utility.?

mb:

Most ECs here don't touch POCO owned street lighting. Some 'Private' communities have HOA owned road lighting, which are the same as other site lights. The POCO is even installing site lighting on private property (shopping centers), with flat rate pricing including power, maintenance and replacement as required.

We came upon some utility owned site lighting (retail center) that was HPS, 1000 watt with a unusual dual element bulb. I don't know anything other than the bulb info.

A new management company took over the site, called me for lighting maintenance. My crew arrived at the site (1st & last time), located the "downed pole", secures & safe off. I arrived shortly after, drove around the center, saw what I know as POCO wattage code stickers on the pole heads. I called the POCO contact, gave him the info, & we left. Needless to say....first & last trip.

John
G
I am not even sure most HOAs own their street lights. At my wife's places (3 gated communities in all), the PoCo installs and maintains the street lights because they are in the utility easement even though the street itself is privately owned and maintained.
They do have privately owned lights in the parking lots and other common areas.

Greg Fretwell
F
Originally Posted by gfretwell
I am not even sure most HOAs own their street lights. At my wife's places (3 gated communities in all), the PoCo installs and maintains the street lights because they are in the utility easement even though the street itself is privately owned and maintained.
They do have privately owned lights in the parking lots and other common areas.

Gregg.,

I have ran into couple HOA area and it was sorta like grey area all it depending on the layout and the POCO R.O.W { right of way } easément ways but for privited own parking lots the small one genrally privite owned unless got a contract with POCO for larger one it will useally be privite owned unless the HOA have contract with POCO.

But one thing the POCO will not install any type of luminaire to the customer building that is a no-no in most case.

Merci,
Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

F
John { hotline }.,

I know what you are talking about dual tube 1000 W HPS they are very expensive son of gunner .,, the last bulb I did buy last year it was over 150 Euros

They are rated for 140,000 lumens and bulb life is about 44,000 hours { for dual arc tube the single is typically 24,000 hours }

Merci,
Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard