ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 483 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
E
And don't forget that there were usually four of these cables in a pancake box supported by a gas pipe (often live). The soldered splices and friction tape always made for a fun time.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
EV607797:

Down memory lane again,
Mant years back, working in a multi-family 3 story, OLD tenement house in Newark, NJ. Apprentice was on 3rd floor, taking down the hall light fixtures, and was told..."don't mess with the gas pipe". Well, he removed the cap from the gas nipple, and then hit a 'hot' conductor with his channellocks; instant flamethrower!!

Luckly, I got the gas to the building shut off quickly, or we could have had a real problem.

Memories!!

John
E
Yep, been there, done that. In my instance, there was no ignition, but we were told repeatedly by the GC that all gas service to the building was disconnected. Oh boy was he wrong. I had to clean out my pants after that one.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
H
John,

Yeah that old AC cable is the one that I was talking about. That old stuff was very hard to cut with a hacksaw. That was the way we had to cut Ac cable back then.

Harold:

"That was the way we had to cut Ac cable back then"

Yes, and then along came the first 'Roto-Split'....did ya love it??

"

John
G
I think you will still find these porcelain wire nuts in the wiring box of a range or wall oven

Greg Fretwell
H
Greg,

Other than on old jobs, I haven't seen those porcelain wire nuts anywhere else. The wall ovens and ranges we used to work with either had terminals (ranges) or flying leads. (wall ovens)

G
I ran into them when I was replacing the burner socket on an old Whirlpool cooktop. It was 105c wire and the white porcelain nuts

Greg Fretwell
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard