ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
J
jay8 Offline OP
I have generally used the 12 outlets on a circuit rule. But I am working on a renovation now that has me thinking about this. I am removing 3 head track lights and two to three lamp fixtures replacing with pot lights. It seems to me I should be able to wire a pot light circuit based on nameplate of the load - pot light lamp ratings are clearly identified and that should determine the circuit loading, more so that an octagon box where anything could get installed. So if I am installing 50 watt pot lights only on a circuit that should let me install 28 of them on a 15 amp circuit. Now is there a rule that lets me do this? I know the old watts per foot rule for track lights is gone now, and we rate the circuit based on the heads installed on the track.

M
I agree on your logic as I have called our area inspector asking the same question. His answer was flat out no, not even if you know the load of 50 watts per potlight. Still must be 12 items per circuit.

Never trust an electrician with no eyebrows!!
M
Mr. Electrician
It looks like it may have been a while since your inspector read 8-304 and 30-712(3).

Yes 12 outlets is the general rule but if the load is known then more outlets can be installed.

In combination lighting and outlet circuits where the pot light trim can allow a bigger bulb than another trim I think most inspectors would apply the greatest load.

1 amp per outlet is for general use outlets.

M
Originally Posted by mikesh
Mr. Electrician
It looks like it may have been a while since your inspector read 8-304 and 30-712(3).

Yes 12 outlets is the general rule but if the load is known then more outlets can be installed.

In combination lighting and outlet circuits where the pot light trim can allow a bigger bulb than another trim I think most inspectors would apply the greatest load.

1 amp per outlet is for general use outlets.

Like I said, I agree with the O.P. logic as I asked the same question to my inspector. I had 14 potlights at 50Watts each. I should of been able to have them all on 1 circuit. What the inspector wants, he gets.

Never trust an electrician with no eyebrows!!
M

Like I said, I agree with the O.P. logic as I asked the same question to my inspector.
I had 14 potlights at 50Watts each. I should of been able to have them all on 1 circuit. What the inspector wants, he gets.

I can't disagree about that comment but wrong is still wrong although this call is somewhat subjective. Inspectors are human and don't know everything. I certainly hope they were broadly experienced and have a good general knowledge of all the work they look at but they make mistakes too. I am not suggesting you have an argument but asking him why he did not let you apply the rules I mentioned could start a constructive conversation. Of course any unwillingness to discuss can be a fault of Inspector mentalities it is still a good idea to remember both of you have an opportunity to learn a new thing.

J
this it right from the esasafe site.

http://www.esasafe.com/faqs.htm
Question
I am having twenty pot lights with 60 watt bulbs installed in my basement ceiling. Can they all go on the same circuit?

Answer
Yes. Where the load is known the Code permits more than 12 outlets on a 15 amp circuit provided the total load current does not exceed 12 amps. In this case each fixture will draw 60 watts or .5 amps for a total load of 20 x .5 amps = 10 amps, which is below the 12 amp maximum.

The above assumes the marked maximum lamp size on the fixture is 60 watts; if the marked maximum lamp size is larger, then the marked lamp size will have to be used in the calculation.

No other loads shall be connected to this circuit.

Rule 8-304.

Ontario Electrical Safety Code 24th Edition/2009.

Last edited by jdevlin; 05/26/11 11:05 AM.
J
jay8 Offline OP
8-304 and 30-712, thanks guys.

Link Copied to Clipboard