ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
Bob, all hope is not lost. Using the small power source could still be done, just not dumping it into the mains. If you use an electric water cylinder, you could dump it continously into a heating element during the day and thereby reduce the amount of power consumed at night.

The simplest method that comes to mind is to generate DC to charge a UPS battery and then dump the UPS output into a heating element. A small UPS could power an electric kettle or toaster and a larger one could power a water cylinder element.

O
odbob Offline OP
Larry, thanks but I already have a chopped wave inverter supplying the low energy lighting and fans, I wanted to simply push further energy straight into the house system just to top up, but if Alan is right (no doubt that he is) then it looks like this is impossible to do on single phase

Robert,
Rotating machinery might prove difficult and inefficient, but don't give up. I've been experimenting in 'daft' ideas to 'save money' for 40 odd years - my very first machine extracted heat from cold water with a heat pump [an old refrigerator] and a heat exchanger [ a '54 'Morris Minor' heater matrix]. If you can get your hydro-scheme running, you can use solid state conversion to EU 230v 50hz. I'd try a 12v car alternator c/w the rectifier diodes, driven by a water wheel/bike chain gears? and feeding x vdc to lead-acid battery[s]. The rpm is not supercritical but you need to find the ideal speed by experiment using a volt/ammeter.
Taut bike chain is up to 95% efficient as a drive and cogs are everywhere on scrap bikes....

Machine Mart
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/search/filter/inverter/type/any/page/1

sell a range of inverters up to 2.5kw, with a 300W model for under 40 quid - automatic 50 hz 230v power output from 10-15vdc input.

I recommend that any DIY electric production be NOT fed into your standard house wiring, for safety reasons. Use the power to auxilliary-heat DHW - I've been using PTC plate heaters like this with great success - http://uk.farnell.com/dbk/hp06-2-24...mp;crosssell=true&in_merch=true&

- Cheap as chips, self regulating, no thermostat required, so wiring is a cinch.

Get your quality juice from your utility provider [poco]- the waveform from a diy [rotating or inexpensive solid state device] may leave a lot to be desired and destoying the Freesat box & tv will take all the fun out of the project! sick

Wood work but can't!
Just read your last reply, Robert. The problem with 'top up' is synchrononisation of the ac and the need to have a high quality waveform for anything other than resistance devices or lighting. Most other stuff these days has a chip fitted somewhere....

Trawling the net, I see some folks claiming modified SP capacitor motors can be used as generators, so I may be wrong. Here's one forum: http://www.fieldlines.com/board/index.php?topic=131100.0

THE KILLER: WHAT YOU CAN DRIVE: http://www.qsl.net/ns8o/Induction_Generator.html

Last edited by Alan Belson; 06/04/11 02:03 PM.

Wood work but can't!
G
Things using wide mouth switcher power supplies are fairly tolerant of just about anything you throw at them.

Greg Fretwell
O
odbob Offline OP
Thanks Alan, I will continue playing, I've got the stuff anyway!. On the question of feeding the house wiring in this way, I have in place the necessary grid protection relays, should the grid fail. Anyone experimenting should always properly consider the safety aspects, particulary safety of others

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard