ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 228 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Greg:
The 'blue' (Carlon) with captive nails has a 50# listing for fixtures. I see no reference to 'fans'.

IMHO, using the above & inserting a 'hanging' screw/hook/etc. thru the box don't fly.

John
G
They do have a blue fan box (35lb max) but I don't see how it is mounted. It may be "up" through the framing

Greg Fretwell
T
The screws included in fan-rated box kits are NOT standard run-of-the-mill screws. They are extra strong and a tad longer.

I'm speaking of the metallic boxes.

Going plastic for fan boxes is not very appealing to me.

BTW, watch out for the whip antenna... it needs to stay outside any 'Faraday cage' created by metallic boxes.

Tesla
G
I thought the only thing special about a fan box screw is it had to be #10 and extend from the structure of the box, not the mounting ears.

Greg Fretwell
Greg:
I think he is refering to the 'longer' #10 machine screws and metal boxes. A few metal fan boxes have heavy metal bosses from face of box to back of box for fan mounting plates.

John
G
The ones I have seen just thread the 10-32 screw into the back of, what appears to be, a normal octagon box. They go through the ears unattached, only using them for alignment.
I can see why this is a lot stronger but it is more geometry than the strength of the material.

Greg Fretwell
I checked on carlon's site and as Greg mentioned the round boxes with the mounting nails are rated for 50lbs. it doesn't mention anything about additional screws. But the box itself doesn't have the weight rating on it but it is listed on their site.

On a second note, the same exact box with the same part # but with a sticker on it that shows the wight rating, sells for 4 times more.

Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live

G
"Insurance" wink

Greg Fretwell
Originally Posted by Tesla
The screws included in fan-rated box kits are NOT standard run-of-the-mill screws. They are extra strong and a tad longer.

I'm speaking of the metallic boxes.

Going plastic for fan boxes is not very appealing to me.

BTW, watch out for the whip antenna... it needs to stay outside any 'Faraday cage' created by metallic boxes.

I like the metal boxes better allso.. rolleyes

K
I have some standard T&B nail on plastic ceiling boxes that have two holes in the top of them, but the holes are for bar hanger screws. The only reason I know this is because I also have the T&B plastic ceiling boxes with bar hangers and they just use the exact same mold for all of these boxes. They even have the nail holder ears molded on the bar hanger boxes, just with no nails included.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard