ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#200908 04/27/11 09:25 AM
H
Some one asked me a question about when you install a roof top HVAC system and there are weatherproof receptacles installed within 25' of the unit. Say this install is on a large commercial building. The first unit from tenant A is next to tenant B's unit. Tenant A has a WP recpt. within 25'all is OK. Does tenant B need a receptacle within 25'? Will tenant A's fullfill the requirement?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Harold:
Yes, 'B' will need one. IF tenent 'A' becomes vacant, with power terminated, then there is no receptacle available. Also, 'A' may not appreciate 'Bs' use of their power, although it is minimal at best guess.

Basically, the roof has to be treated as 'tenent' space, unless all the rooftop equip is fed from a 'house' panel (landlord)

Perhaps George can jump in here...

John
G
I agree with John. The only way I think I could accept that is if it was on the house panel.

Greg Fretwell
G
I don't have any code references that say that a receptacle for the roof top HVAC has to be fed from any particular source. This to me is a landlord/tenant issue. Greg's house panel might be the best answer. I just went through this with the sign circuits for a strip mall, where the sign circuits came out of the house panel which was in a locked room. Nothing in the code says that is illegal either.

Had one job where one tenant was plugging in his Xmas lights into a service receptacle for his next door tenants HVAC unit.

All these things are not electrical violations. IMHO

George Little
T
Every shell I've constructed had 'festive lighting' circuits on the house panel AND across a timing switch.

Tesla
Cat Servant
Well, Tesla, consider your future tenants lucky!

Code only says there be power for the convenience of the serviceman. Code is silent as to where that power comes from - or whether it is there under every tenancy circumstance.As the code is wriiten, you could meet the requirement if your neighbors' house had a receptcle nearby. 25 ft. is 25 ft!

A major part of my work has been in remodelling these types of commercial spaces. Joining units, dividing units, moving walls about. It's pretty hard to tell what the future will bring.

A similar situation arises with the ICC requirement for 'lighting the path of egress.' With every remodel, the new tenant gets to 'improve' the landlords' building.

I call it a design matter, and not a compliance issue. Code is supposed to be 'minimal' and 'practical.' That there might be a more elegant solution is not the question.

Reno:
I understand where you are coming from with reference to the 'neighbors' receptacle, and the verbage as written within the NEC. That is the reason I did not reference a code article.

As to using the neighbors electricity, that may be stretched out to a 'theft of services' type issue, and again NOT an NEC issue. Imagine that scenario with two neighbors that are not friends!

Yse, it is a design issue, no I cannot put a 'code' article on it for a violation, and I must add...I have never come accross this issue as an inspector. Both in new construction, tenant fit-ups, or replacement RTUs.

John
T
John, I'm sure that such juice is stolen at every opportunity.

The more seasoned landlords are 'hip' and thusly have house circuits...

'Nuff said.

BTW, these were well engineered major shell projects.

The landlord re-billed the tenants for such loads...

Another circuit that I've run into is a separate GFCI aux to the RTUs...

The idea is that any HVAC tech can cut the power at the disco -- yet still have aux power at the GFCI receptacle....

These are the norms that I have to work towards....

Regardless of the NEC.

Tesla
Tesla:

I'm not saying there are no 'juice thieves' here on the east coast, and yes I know a few.

My point, I have not had anyone argue/dispute the RT receptacle within 25'. A lot of the new RTUs have the GFI within the RTU, fed by a 120 volt circuit.

John
G
Or you could suggest that they bite the bullet and install a combination swtich/receptacle where the receptacle is tapped off the line side. It saves the cost of running a separate 120V circuit so it might work out to the same installed costs when all is said and done.

I think Tesla's talking about these:
http://www.eaton.com/Electrical/USA.../SafetySwitches/AuxiliaryPower/index.htm

Ghost307
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard