ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#200874 04/23/11 10:42 PM
L
I have a 5 ohm speed pot to wire I ran a three wire shielded cable red, black, white, what is the proper color wiring.

N
Not enough information. What wire goes to what pot terminal depends on how the OTHER end of the cable is connected.

If I was wiring the whole system, I would wire it as follows, just out of habit:

Red---Positive voltage
Black ---Negative voltage (or ground)
White---Pot wiper (to drive speed input signal)

Typically, the Positive supply voltage goes to the CW terminal of the pot. This way, CW rotation produces a positive output voltage, and increasing speed. But this is subject to the specifics of your installation.

If this is a speed control pot for use with a VFD or something like that, typically it is set up as a variable voltage divider across a DC reference supply, to provide a 0-5V, 0-10V, +/-5V, or +/-10V speed command signal. You should ground the shield only at the drive end, and leave it float at the pot end.

5 ohms is a very low value for a speed control pot. Are you sure you don't mean 5 kilohms (5,000 ohms)?

Last edited by NJwirenut; 04/23/11 11:36 PM.
Broom Pusher and
Agree with NJwirenut per the Colors -vs- Position on the Pot (Potentiometer).

With the Device's Shaft facing towards you:

1. "RED" - to "Left-Side" of the Resistor (Terminal #1), for the Input Lead (DCV+ / Vss),
  2. "WHITE" - to the "Center / Wiper Lead" (Terminal #2), for the Loop-Back Lead,
  3. "BLACK" - to the "Right-Side" of the Resistor (Terminal #3), for the Ground Lead (DCV- / Vcc).

Terminate the Drains & Shields of all Cables at one common point. Isolate the Drain and Shield at the Pot, with Electrical Tape.

-- Scott

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!

Link Copied to Clipboard