ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#200004 03/16/11 10:49 PM
Trumpy Offline OP
Sorry this is a bit of and old story, but I haven't had much time to post here lately.
After the quake that has happened in Christchurch, there have been some stories of survivors, but one guy could have met a very nasty end indeed:

From Stuff:LINK

A sub-contractor who came within millimetres of being "vaporised" when he struck a 66,000-volt buried cable says he wanted to "smack" the contractor who told him he was fine to dig there.

Jack Peke, a drainage contractor from Wellington, was breaking concrete under the corner of Ruskin and Antigua streets in Christchurch on Thursday when he noticed what looked to be vegetable oil seeping from a cable he had struck.

He got out of his digger and stuck his finger in the grease, unaware that what he had found was the oil casing of a 66kV cable – the main service line between Addington and a large part of south Christchurch.

If he had contacted the core, it would have created a power spark 20 metres high and an explosion that would have destroyed everything within a 6 metre 18'(T) radius.

Roger Sutton, the chief executive of lines company Orion, said Mr Peke would have been "vaporised" if he had pierced the cable.

Mr Peke said he was the last subcontractor in a chain.

He asked for service plans (maps of underground cables and pipes) but was told he only needed to know about a fibre-optic cable.

Piercing the oil casing dropped the pressure at the sub-station and sounded Orion's alarms. Staff rushed down and found Mr Peke in the hole trying to stop the oil flow.

"We were out of that hole faster than you could say boom."

Mr Peke was shaken when he learned how close he had come to being killed and angry over the bad advice.

"When I found it was a 66kV cable I wanted to smack the contractor out," he said.

He later bought a Lotto ticket, but thinks he has used all his luck.

The cable is being repaired but how long this will take will not be known before Monday.

Mr Sutton said the network was still running but it was fragile because small back-up cables were carrying the load.

One more problem could lead to loss of power for 4000 to 5000 customers.

Service plans had been made available to sub-contractors, but it was "obviously impossible to track everybody", he said.

When it's all said and done though, Mr Peke needs to take a fair share of the blame here.
This and all 66kV circuit cables are covered with bright RED coloured concrete of 200mm thick (8") and a marker strip above them in the trench (at half trench height) when they were originally run.
I've operated excavators in the past and you always make damned sure of what you are digging into.

I remember back when there were protests against a new 400kV line to Auckland, people were screaming for the lines to be put underground (out of sight, out of mind).
IMO, keep them above ground, at you won't have some guy putting an excavator bucket through them.

Trumpy:
Reading this today, I must agree with you...he is one very lucky guy!

Here, everybody must call a 'one call' phone number which is a service that provides a 'mark out' of the underground utilities. The call must be made a minimum of three (3) days before you 'dig'. The service is provided, and I believe funded by the local utilities. Failure to obtain a mark-out that results in any damage to UG utilities carries substantial financial liability.

The mark-out is even supposed to be required by homeowners digging on their property for any reasons.

I gusee NZ does not have a system similar to this?

Take care & stay safe.

John
S
one would think HotOne, seems even burial tape doesn't help

one of my service laterals here was dug up by the same digger who dug for the install, tape and all!

nobody was hurt, thankfully

the poco charged him though....

~S~

Last edited by sparky; 03/26/11 09:57 AM.
F
Wow that is lucky on that one.

John ., I am pretty sure the NZ do have digger hotline simauir to your states side. and Yeah we do have them in France as well we have to make sure they call them in 3 days in advance unless emergecy then it will have afterhour fees show up but it is justfied in few situations as need to be.

The biggest issue is some of the contractor or homeowners don't understand the nature of using this service it actaually a big live saver.

Merci,
Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

Link Copied to Clipboard