ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 263 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#200530 04/06/11 12:26 AM
Niko Offline OP
A GEC from the panel terminates to the water pipe, then a bonding jumper from the water pipe terminates on the ground rod.
One of my colleague says it is a violation because it has to be one continuous piece from the panel to the water pipe then to the ground rod.

I say the only portion that has to be continuous is the GEC not the bonding jumper that is to the ground rod.

i will try to post the picture.

Last edited by Niko; 04/06/11 12:37 AM.

Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Cat Servant
The GEC need only be continuous between the panel and the first grounding electrode.

Code language can lead you to your friends' view, but the matter is addressed in Soares. Call it another example of bad grammar on the part of the NEC.

H
Reno,

Another section of "Bad Grammar" in the NEC IMHO is under 680 for "Bonding". Where the bonding conductor must be "Continuous without splice", but you can land 2 pieces of bonding wire under a proper bonding lug strip. Like in a deck box, you have the #8 from the light into a bonding lug, and on another bonding lug you have the #16 ground wire from the light and the #12 grounding wire from the circuit that feeds the light.

G
A lot of the lugs that I see for conduits and pipes are designed so that you can lay the conductor in the lug and tighten it without having to cut the wire.

Ghost307
H
Ghost,

I have seen those kinds of bonding bushings too. They are fine and acceptable. I was referring in my post about using approved lugs to connect "Bond" wires to and yet it doesn't mean "Without Splice". Some EC's go to great extent to run wires without splice but fail to use these lugs that are approved for use.

G
My only problem with landing on the rod first is what size wire is that? wink

Greg Fretwell
Niko Offline OP
Originally Posted by gfretwell
My only problem with landing on the rod first is what size wire is that? wink

it is #4 to the water pipe first then a separate piece of #4 goes to the ground rod.

How can i post a picture?

Last edited by Niko; 04/07/11 02:51 AM.

G
That is exactly right the way you described it in the OP.
I thought I heard you went to the rod first, Even then it would be OK as long as you had the #4 or whatever 250.66 calls (to bond the water pipe)
The GEC is the first connection to an electrode. everything is a bonding jumper.

From the handbook

[Linked Image from gfretwell.com]

Greg Fretwell
Niko Offline OP
Thank you Greg, That is exactly what the installation is.
i have that picture in my hand book i have been trying to post a picture of the installation.

G
This is from the FAQ

When creating a new thread or response, you'll see a "File Manager" link on the "Full Reply" or "New Post" page. When selecting this option you'll receive a popup which will allow you to attach files to your post.

Steps:
1. Click "File Manager" to bring up the "Attachment" window.
2. Click "Browse" to bring up the file browser window; this will allow you to browse your computer for any files or images you wish to upload; please note that you're bound by whatever the "allowed file type" setting is for the board.
3. Click "open" on the file you wish to upload.
4. Enter a description of what the file is (if you want to).
5. Click "add file" to add another file, or "done" to close the window and complete your posting.

Please note that you must enter some text in both the "subject" and "post" fields when responding otherwise you will receive an error; you cannot just respond with an attachment wink.

I put the photos I post on my web page and link them with the UBB "img" command.

Greg Fretwell
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard