ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#200384 03/29/11 10:24 PM
J
looking to put 6 ccts (lighting) on a contactor controlled by a time clock. I'm kinda new, and not sure how to go about it. are there 6 pole contactors?

G
Two 3 pole contactors is probably cheaper than a 6 pole, if you could find one. Try GE CR206L20GAZZ

Greg Fretwell
T
twh Offline
Check 30-710(4) for the rating of the contactor. Appendix B refers to CSA C22.2 #14, which means nothing to me, but it might allow for a lower rating if the contactor is rated in HP. The rule is that for HID lighting, the rating must be double the ampere load.

G
ASCO makes lighting contactors with as many poles as you need. A mere 6 poles should be no problem at all.

http://www.emersonnetworkpower.com/...LightingContactorsforBranchCircuits.aspx

Ghost307
Cat Servant
Please note that lighting loads should use contactors described as 'lighting contactors,' rather than the less robust 'definite purpose contactors.'

J
thanks! 2 - 3pole contactors will work. Now, installing the time clock. There are 4 terminals, 2 line, 2 load. I'll parallel up the coils, but I don't see where I would need 2 wires in and 2 out for the time clock. I seem to remember there being a removable bridge in the time clock. Do I just remove this to have the 2 lines in so it acts like a switch for the contactors? But it must need power all the time to function, so ...... where does that come from? the contactors are the load side?

advice much appreciated!

Originally Posted by Joetools
thanks! 2 - 3pole contactors will work. Now, installing the time clock. There are 4 terminals, 2 line, 2 load. I'll parallel up the coils, but I don't see where I would need 2 wires in and 2 out for the time clock. I seem to remember there being a removable bridge in the time clock. Do I just remove this to have the 2 lines in so it acts like a switch for the contactors? But it must need power all the time to function, so ...... where does that come from? the contactors are the load side?

Joe,
The feed phase wire from the supply would go to one of the Line terminals, the other Line terminal will be for the neutral, this will often have a link between the line and load side of the time switch, use a meter to confirm this though.
Connect your contactors to the Load side of the time switch.

Hope this helps.

P
1 Pole
[Linked Image from site.electricsuppliesonline.com]2 Pole [Linked Image from site.electricsuppliesonline.com]

Link Copied to Clipboard