ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 389 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
No, the Code change itself was motivated by servicer injuries. This is noted in that ROP and ROC elsewhere in the Substantiations and in the CMP's Statements.

I was specifically addressing Joe Tedesco's question regarding why the NEC® treats dwellings differently on then-410.79(G) / now-410.130(G). The Proposers were explaining why they were omitting dwellings in the portion I cited.

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
Originally Posted by HotLine1
Joe:
Back to your question.

Perhaps it's a numbers issue, as there are (on average) fewer fluorescent fixtures within a resi than comm?

The intent of reducing/eliminating a possible hazard to untrained (or under trained) unqualified persons would be the same in any location IMHO.

I still come upon the occasional jobsite where the 'factory' 'sta-con' connectors are cut off & laying on the floor.

Another issue is how is this to be enforced with replacement ballasts? Here the replacement is considered an 'ordinary repair' and no permit/inspection is required.

I don't under stand why they would want untraind persons changing ballast's in the first place.

you would think that would lead to more work place accidents not less...

Originally Posted by Brian_Rock
This "other than dwellings and associated accessory structures" wording goes back first to the Proposals for the 2005 NEC®. Back then, this 410.130(G) was numbered to fall into 410.79 and was ultimately designated as 410.79(G).

From the May 2004 ROP, Proposals 18-92 (Log #1780) from Craig Wellman and 18-93 (Log #3421) from Danny Liggett proposed this requirement, each with slightly different wordings.

The original wording in those Proposals was "other than dwellings and related/associated outbuildings".

For your question, a portion of the Substantiation to P18-92 (Log #1780) goes to the heart of your question:
"In commercial, industrial, institutional and government facilities, it is often unsafe or impractical to turn off power to luminaires at the panelboard. Turning off the power may leave a room in the dark or may reduce illumination, which in some cases can/could create work related hazards for facility occupants. ..."

So, reading between the lines, the distinction seems to be that dwellings and associated accessory structures are exempted from this luminaire disconnect requirement because:
• dwellings are not as large as those other occupancies to have as great a distance between panelboard and the luminaire being serviced
• rooms in dwellings generally have windows (for fire egress) that allow natural illumination whereas those other occupancies more typically include rooms without windows

Great post Brian and Welcome to the forum.. smile

S
Originally Posted by Brian_Rock
No, the Code change itself was motivated by servicer injuries. This is noted in that ROP and ROC elsewhere in the Substantiations and in the CMP's Statements.

Yes, i understand the CMP have substantiations they base code changes on Brian

but i question those service injuries, and would wager many are the sign guys, or maintenance men

Certain electrical equipment are manufactured with these sorts in mind, like fusible disconnects that have an interlocking door mechanism cutting power to the fuses

Yet here we have a code requesting these same sorts, who will never own a copy of the NEC, install a safety device

So their substaintiation is rather cyclical logic

just imho....

further still, i bought a tin of these>

[Linked Image from lighting-gallery.net]

i'm less than impressed

~S~

Dwellings include multifamily like the one I live in and there are many ballasts installed in the underground parking garage, storage rooms, electrical closets, and stairwells. They should make it clear that these types of buildings should meet the main rule.

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard