ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 248 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#101918 02/18/04 07:51 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Can someone tell me if Canadian Code will or ever did allow a three conductor circuit to feed ranges and dryers as long as the circuit source came from the same panel as where the main bonding jumper was located?

#101919 02/19/04 09:44 AM
U
You mean a 3-wire cable? (i.e. 2 hots and neutral)

I'll dig through my code book later, but standard range and dryer receptacles here have four prongs: 2 hots, neutral, and a ground (bond). Each would need its own circuit though.

EDIT: All I can find on the electric range is a demand factor (for conductor sizing). Nothing on the dryer. The issue of 2-wire or 3-wire feeder would be dictated by the appliance manufacturer, would it not?

[This message has been edited by u2slow (edited 02-19-2004).]

#101920 02/19/04 08:46 PM
J
My 1983 Ontario Hydro code book calls for 14-30R receptacle for dryers.

Y
I have seen it done in old houses where the service could not handle the load of both appliances. The way it was done was by installing a priority load sharing device on the cable coming from the panel and then wiring both appliances with their own cable to this device. The load sharing device would then only let one appliance be connected at any one time, my understanding is that the range would always have priority. If the dryer was on and somebody switched on the range then it would automatically switch the circuit to feed the range and turn of the dryer circuit. I have never hooked one up, but have taken a couple out years ago when replacing the old service.

Not a good idea. That will never happenn. Not practical and dangerous.

“If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there”.
G
I don't think circuit sharing is the OP's question. He's asking if a Range OR a Dryer can be or ever could be fed with a cable that contained 2 insulated and 1 uninsulated conductors as long as they originated at the service rather than at a subpanel. I don't know about Canada, but when I started in the trade in 1983 in California we fed Ranges with 6/3 SEU all the time under those conditions. We used the bare aluminum strands twisted together as the 3rd conductor. This is no longer allowed but I still see it in older houses.

M
If the question is can you feed an appliance with 3 wires vs 4 then the answer is NO. It has never been code compliant in Canada to let the neutral bond the range or allow the bond to also provide a neutral.
ranges and dryer circuits must be 4 wire. 2 hots, an insulated grounded current carrying conductor(neutral) and a bonding conductor which is normally bare under the cable jacket.
I believe the US allowed this type of range circuit and we had a huge problem with ranges coming across the boarder when US residents moved here with their appliances.

J
I have encountered multiple old residences that used armoured two or three conductor for branch circuits, with the armour being the bonding conductor.

Link Copied to Clipboard