ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
~s~:
Put into state law for the protection of consumers.

NJAC 13:45 A-16.2 to be specific.
or;
NJAC 13:45-3.16 (a) 10.ii

It's not one of the most publicized, but it has been around for a while.

The wording varies on various 'stamps' and placards.

"Final payment to the contractor is not not required to be made before a final inspection performed" printed on the placards within my office.

"Final inspections are required before final payment is made to contractor" on a 'stamp' at the counter.

No, there is no protection for the contractors, as far as I'm aware.

Note the there is no $$$ amount or percentages mentioned or implied.

I'll scout around for the actual printed 'law' as soon as I have time.

It is printed on the backside of most permit placards

John
Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
S
sparky Offline OP
http://www.newjerseyconstructioncontract.com/images/NJ.png

???

might ahhh, constraining specs HotOne

of course, we on the other side of the coin might consider learning a thing or two.....

~S~

~s~:

Run that by me again please.

John
S
sparky Offline OP
sorry...., you have laws HotOne , at first sniff they seem rather constraining, that said, given we have unenforced fairy tales at best here it might be an eyeopener to contract in such an enviroment

~S~

~s~:
Yes, there are laws on the books here, but...enforcement? The one mentioned herein has been around for some time, but I would say the majority of the public statewide have not a clue it exists. There is no way for it to be enforced, and if there was a way....who would be 'the enforcer'.

Yes, directly written to protect the consumers, but in an indirect way....the responsible contractors also.

I still see the end results of the uneducated public hiring someone to do a job, paying a substantial amount, and never seeing that person again. That type of 'someone' IMHO makes the responsible contractors look 'bad' also.

John
Cat Servant
I think that by the time that anyone is thinking to call a lawyer, the job has already failed.

Since this thread is about contracts, I'll focus on that element.

Here's where an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Make sure from the outset that you're clear on what you need to do - and that the customer is clear on what to expect. That's your primary way to avoid problems.

Avoid the temptation to 'pass ther buck.' Yes, I know this means you're biting off more than some guys want to. For example ... if you state that wall repairs are the customers' responsibility, and they're not happy with the repair, they'll associate that with you. That will get them looking for other faults. Pointing to the fine print of the service agreement after you've made the hole is no way to have a happy customer. Make sure they understand these things before you make that hole.

Recognize that things get complicated when intermediaries are involved. For example, when you're brought in by the general contractor and the customer is present. Or, when the owner hired you, but his manager is present. These 'intermediaries' weren't there when the deal was made ... but they sure can muck things up.

Good points Reno!

The mentions above re: NJAC etc was & is relevant within contract docs. The key being the financial spectrum of payments. As the law is written (don't matter who does the interpertations) "FINAL payment is the keyword.

John
S
sparky Offline OP
Here's what i just walked into>

[Linked Image from i104.photobucket.com]

Here's my 'contractual plain english'response >

(deleted), here's what i would like to do @ the (deleted) residence in Andover VT, note that pursuant to this , it would be good to have it made clear what the original intent was from the electrical investigation / print done today

1) in the basement, either bore a series of holes in a straight line, or install a running board for home runs to panel w/ room for growth

2) move all wiring to running board(s) that are secured to face of laminate cellar beams, use BX38 clips listed for MC cable

3) move all applicable slack toward current JB's for retermination / interface

4) make existing general use circuitry into existing home runs, reterminate, ground properly, provide compliant JB space & slack

5) provide new home runs for dedicated circuits (note that the 14G already installed required to be on a 20A will stay on 15A, and be noted as such)

6) provide GFI protection in locations required

7) check for proper ampacity/wiring gauge @ panel. i.e.-14G on 15A, 12G on 20A, etc

8) work all outside mc cable into applicable boxes for lighting fixtures (4 locations) & hang fixtures

9) make up undone switching w/ proper MC cable box clamps, grounding & white switches

10) cellar lighting switch @ top of stairs & at bottom cellar entry, minimum 4 cellar keyless porcelians

11) furnace EM switch @ top of cellar stairs

12) clearly mark panel with schedule

I would also recommend surf mount 4 sq's for cellar entry switching at the rear cellar door, vs. cut in boxes

Estimate (deleted, but you cab guess if you'd like) of T&M work to this point

suggested>

a) smoke/co detectors per current Vermont standard (noted is one hallway porcelian being tagged 'smoke' in basement)

b) proper grounding of all made up devices / device boxes / JB's

c) TP (tamper resistant) devicing per current requirements

d) proper bonding of all mettalic raceways, vessels, plumbing

e) change out your current breakers for afci's where required

f) dedicated circuitry ampacity where applicable (fish job) , a doable example here might be the bathroom receptacles fed via 14G, required to be 12G

etta: this is an EE from NJ who wired his house in 14G MC cable ($$$ to kneecap him HotOne)

so.....how'd i do?

~S~

Cat Servant
I would add a clause about confiscating his tools and taping his hands together.

`s~:
I am not responsible for any NJ EE's!! LOL

Hopefully the $$$$ works out.

John
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard