ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 238 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
MAH #200180 03/23/11 11:17 PM
I would say that GFCI just filters current. So Line from panel to the load to the shared neutral. What happ when power travels from opposite side. Unbalanced load flows only behind GFCI. If in CEC doesn't say it clearly, well you can and can't. That right inspectors reserve for themselfs.
If you don't see something a lot in practice people are sceptical about it. GFCI should be checked every month. Not for use everywhere.
In parrallel circuits:

voltage=constant
current=variable

If you split neutral before comming to GFCI you just changed current...

...or I am just talking nonsense

“If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there”.
MAH #200188 03/24/11 08:40 AM
G
A GFCI doesn't filter anything. It measures the current leaving the device on the phase wire (black) and the current returning to the device on the neutral wire (white) and then compares the two. In normal operation they should always be the same since electricity flows in a closed circuit.

If the two current measurements differ by more than a prescribed maximum amount (4-6 milliamperes), a contact inside the GFCI opens and shuts off the current flow.
So if 9 amperes is traveling through the heating elements in the toaster and 1 ampere is flowing up your arm, through your heart, down your other arm and into the faucet on the kitchen sink, that 1 ampere (1,000 milliampere) difference sensed by the GFCI will open the circuit at the device rather than stand there cooking yourself to death.

Ghost307
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard