ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 254 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#199993 03/16/11 07:20 PM
Would like to keep increasing my knowledge of the trade but am not really sure where to look?

Question posted by Ahickey in other topic ( kitchens and CEC rules)

“If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there”.
Originally Posted by mersadrad
Would like to keep increasing my knowledge of the trade but am not really sure where to look?

Welcome along to ECN, mate. cool
I have to say, that over the time that I've been at this site alone, I have learned a tonne of things about the trade (not only in my own country, but the rest of the world as well) and it doesn't seem to be stopping any time soon.
Have a good look around this site, you'll find a lot of experience here, first-hand from those that have been there and done that.

Also, don't forget to have a good gander at Scott T's Technical Reference Area.
If you don't learn something from that particular area, I have a spatula and a fry basket to help you on your way. grin
(Don't take that as an insult).

Mersadrad:

I have to agree with Trumpy. This is a really great place to learn. I am not at all familiar with the Canadian Electrical Code and practices, but I delve into the US NEC.

There are quite a few Canadian members here who will respond to your inquiries & Frenchelectrician (Marc) is another wealth of knowledge, Canadian & French.

Look around, post your trade related questions & don't be bashful.

Stay safe & take care

John
P
I've been in study mode lately.
Any questions you have are likely things that I should look up again...

I find that I have problems memorizing (runnin out of space), but once I know the territory, I can re-find the answers I forgot easy enough.
Same with the code.

I remember as an apprenctice trying to memorize... actually all through school in general.... probably why I forget easy.

Tabbing my codebook helped me a lot. I did all the sections except for the ones I don't reference much. I did most of the tables and appendices, and various pages like Voltage Drop calculation etc. Each tab also has a tiny description so I can see what's what.
I actually got that idea from a friend of mine who's an apprentice.
If I knew the benefit at the time, I would have done it right when I started school.

One thing I learned as a practice that helped me a lot with trouble-shooting is start from the Panel. Open the panel and check every breaker for power first. It takes about 5 minutes. Several times I chased an open circuit through 12 devices only to find it ended at a faulty breaker!
Low voltage honers work great for following wires through walls during a trouble-shoot.
Once I used one of those to find a chewed through wire in a spray foamed attic. All of a sudden the signal stopped in one spot.. a little digging... voila... mouse ate through a neutral.

what else...

Did you know that emt can be blown like a trumpet?

The 'key' to any 'code' is to know where to look for what you need, not to try to memorize the book.

BTW, tabs are a real good investment of $15-$20

John
Trumpy: Nice!!! Scott is doing a great job. I already spent some time there. Great info. I won't get insulted couse I already see you guys as a teachers, profesionals. I gues one skill you have to posses as an electrician is good sense of humor.

I focus mostly on Sections 4(conductors), 8 ( load demands) 10 ( ground) and 12 ( wiring methods) even though we did almost all the sections.I just don't want to make basic mistakes.
It is sad how little material and time we have to work and study in school. I can swear that every rule I mark( seen, did in practice, or heard) my book is still looking as I marked 1/7 of all rules.
I am thinking: Is it a good desision to go for industrial licence and will I be able to transfer my experiance toward comercial/residential licence. I heard some things but nothing reliable.

Tabs increase productivity and that builds confidence. I like the most using 6 colour pens. I bet you will like it if you use it. The best for lighting( GE and Dauglas panels-control drawing), for ladder diagrams, control circuits, motors.

I definetly don't know that emt can be blown like a trumpet?

How? Heat?

S

How? Heat?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZeHp6ubNLU

gotta keep up to them plumbers.....:)

~S~

F
Merdadrad., The way you got the hightlighted part of CEC that will cover your basic requirment however there are some area may have more codes so work it way up to know the addtional codes I know it is not easy to memorized it all like I have to memorized both NEC and ECF { Electrique Code De France } and some bit of CEC as well for other country I will just look up real quick and read their refernce point.

The longer you stay in the trade the more you will gain the knowage in the trade and we have alot of good peoples in this fourm will help with any detail you need to know we will pass it along the way.

Merci.
Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

Originally Posted by sparky

How? Heat?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZeHp6ubNLU

gotta keep up to them plumbers.....:)

~S~

Ahahaha...it was fun. But even funnier I ask How. Heat? I thought blown up....

Originally Posted by frenchelectrican
Merdadrad., The way you got the hightlighted part of CEC that will cover your basic requirment however there are some area may have more codes so work it way up to know the addtional codes I know it is not easy to memorized it all like I have to memorized both NEC and ECF { Electrique Code De France } and some bit of CEC as well for other country I will just look up real quick and read their refernce point.

The longer you stay in the trade the more you will gain the knowage in the trade and we have alot of good peoples in this fourm will help with any detail you need to know we will pass it along the way.

Merci.
Marc

Dacord, merci Marc, I just hope I will be able to cover as much as I can.

Link Copied to Clipboard