ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 94 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Trumpy Offline OP
Guys,
The same tectonic plate that caused the quake in Christchurch has now devastated Japan and China.
People in California, should be prepared for at least a substantial jolt.
Make sure you have provisions, like food, batteries for flash-lights and most of all water and fuel.
This is my opinion only, but I'd hate it if you folks suffered as much as those in Christchurch or Japan have.
Stay safe.
Mike.

J
How are you doing Mike?
Joe

H
Trumpy,

I will second that motion. Being on the East coast of America, we almost never feel an earthquake. There are some small ones around, but for the most part we don't feel them. I think I would just crap in my pants if the earth moved that much. My cousin lives in San Francisco and he just missed the big one that hit there several years ago.

we have been talking about getting prepared but haven't yet. i guess i need to be serious and get ready.

i have been in 3 or 4 major California quakes.
They are scary on top of that you need to deal with salt water and now possible radiation.

Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live

N
There will be a big quake in CA, the only question to be answered is when it will happen.

T
ALWAYS keep a 5 gallon fresh water supply. Those are available just about everywhere, 'cause the first thing to go is water in a disaster.

The first thing that you need is pure water.

Next, always have a heat source. It can be wood or charcoal. But you want to always have HOT water available.

As a kid I went through a complete disruption of power and phones.

Hot water quickly became HUGE. You simply cannot understand how often you need it.

In this regard think of buying a Fresnel lens to make pure water and hot water. Bing the internet. Interesting videos out there.

After that, it's rice, beans, canned tuna etc.

The Sierra Nevadas didn't get so high on their own. Think earthquakes.

Hoover dam sits exactly across a Major fault. Some day it MUST fail.

Do you want to live down stream?

BTW, MOST rivers ARE rivers BECAUSE they are atop faults, the ultimate crack in the ground.

Faults also create swamps. There is a massive fault than has created the Sudanese swamp. It's so huge and so deep it's an engineering nightmare.

Only in the 21st Century is it realized that this fault permits the Nile to feed the sub-surface lakes underneath Egypt and Libya.

Yes, it's a DEEP fault. A tad further to the east the world is splitting apart and the conditions for a brand new ocean are unfolding.

Meaning: keep you powder dry and always hold reserves. As professional electricians we are expected to bring the juice back on. Doing so can bring the best satisfaction ( and profits ) that you'll ever get.

So don't let your service truck run too low on fuel. You may find that you need to work when the normal fuel supply is cut off!

Tesla
Cat Servant
Tesla, thank you for the 'engineering' perspective. I. however, differ.

What has NOT happened in either NZ or Japan? Well, I have yet to see any reports about the locals sacking Wal-mart- let alone the police joining in the looting!

I believe that your most important 'asset' in a crisis are your neighbors and co-workers.

Look around you now. If the 'big one' hit, would you all be in it together - or would you feel as if you were lost in Jurassic Park?

If you answer the latter, get out NOW. Nothing good can happen by your continuing to live among such a dysfunctional society.

Reno,

"What has NOT happened in either NZ or Japan? Well, I have yet to see any reports about the locals sacking Wal-mart- let alone the police joining in the looting!"

.....Keeping in mind that the City of Los Angeles has a population exceeding that of the entire country of New Zealand.

After the SoCA Northridge Earthquake in 1994, (57 dead, 9000+ injured) there was almost NO looting, let alone any police taking part in it. Only 10 arrests.

http://articles.latimes.com/1994-02-06/opinion/op-19644_1_northridge-earthquake

Trumpy Offline OP
Originally Posted by renosteinke

What has NOT happened in either NZ or Japan? Well, I have yet to see any reports about the locals sacking Wal-mart- let alone the police joining in the looting!

I believe that your most important 'asset' in a crisis are your neighbors and co-workers.

Look around you now. If the 'big one' hit, would you all be in it together - or would you feel as if you were lost in Jurassic Park?

Bollocks,
John, after having been through 2 decently sized quakes here and the rescue and recovery of both, I don't think that what you are saying is the case.
What I have seen, is the fact of people working together, to rescue people they don't even know, give first aid to those that are injured, comfort those that are not injured, but have had the bejesus scared out of them.
It is most certainly a situation of do what you can at the time, mainly members of the public here, did just that in the initial parts of the quake.

In a situation of which you are talking, that would mean GREED, not looking out for your fellow man.
Police officers are charged with keeping law and order during a disaster, why they would leave that scenario to cross over to the "other side" sounds like some sort of a left-field idea.

Cat Servant
Mike, I was referring to an actual disaster (or two) here in the USA.

The vast majority of our disasters have been met with responsible behavior by the folks involved- at least at the start. Yet, you can't have a country as large as ours without there being pretty significant regional differences.

When Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans a decade ago, the social meltdown started even before the rain stopped. There are news team films of uniformed police pushing carts of loot amidst the other looters.

When Hurricane Hugo hit Florida nearly two decades ago, in the immediate aftermath armed gang formed and began systematically victimizing others. These gangs were stopped dead in their tracks by other survivors - thanks to our 'right to bear arms.' "You loot, we shoot" signs became common.

As Scott observed, our most recent few quakes have been met with responsible behavior by the locals. As have many other quakes, blizzards, mudslides, tornados, wildfires, etc.

Yet Hugo and Katrina showed that the outcome can be different.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard