ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#199692 03/04/11 11:47 PM
H
I was watching HGTV tonight and I saw something brand new. Let's see what anyone thinks about this:

http://eupgrader.com/635/living/hide-your-wires-in-plain-sight-with-flatwires-flat-wire/

The decorator wanted to hang 2 sconce lights but didn't want to call an EC, so she used this product. (It looked like this product.) Tapped off a receptacle, glued the wire on wall and hung 2 lights.

M
looks what AMP use to sell for under carpet office wiring in the late 70's early 80's.

Now just as long as the HO does not want to hang something where the strip is located.

S
It's called flat conductor cable FCC. That could be a good old work substitute in some apps

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
sparkyinak #199700 03/05/11 04:41 AM
F
I will be very carefull with the line voltage rated items due some are not really approved for the useage espcally on the carpeted area.

IIRC The NEC code will stated something about carpets on commercal location if used sqaure peices then it will be ok but for one peice naw it will not really fly it very much.

However in France it pretty restrictive on the flat cable they are pretty much summed up in the wall area none of items are allowed in the floor area.

{ they are not rated to handle European voltage system so that one nice block there }

Low voltage yeah they can get around with it but few area are getting smart with it.

Merci.
Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

Cat Servant
READ THE FINE PRINZT

That stuff is for low voltage use only.

While looking similar, it's nor FCC. There's no ground, or metal cover shield.

renosteinke #199711 03/05/11 04:14 PM
K
Hmmm! … “Flat wire that you mount on the surface of the wall and paint over.”
Isn’t that what hacks have been doing with SPT lamp cord since the beginning of time?
I guess I could see this being used under carpet and terminated at a single distribution point, but I’m not sure I like how it looks bringing it up the walls like that.
Maybe if I was renting an apartment and didn’t want to expend the time and effort doing a permanent install, I might consider using it. I’m kind of wondering what shape the walls would be in after you remove the FlatWire from it though.

I used the flat under carpet cable system on two jobs years back. I remember it was very pricey, was ONLY listed for use under 'carpet tiles', and had a lot of accessories that were needed to do the install. I think it was either a Pirelli or Amp product. It had a kind of sheet metal covering that came on a roll to protect it.

The few comments I read on that link were almost as funny!

John
Looks like the intended use is for two-wire audio, not 120V or signals. But, I'd be willing to be that there's someone out there who's probably using it for 120V. Plug a space heater into an outlet fed by it, and you'll have a "bonus" heating element, all along your wall.

noderaser #199742 03/06/11 05:03 PM
K
Couldn’t wireless equipment do everything pictured, except for maybe the TV itself?
Seems the cost of wireless speakers and other equipment is dropping all the time, so I’m not sure what advantage there will be in using FlatWire, especially when you consider the setup is still more or less permanently fixed in one place and then you have to paint it to match the walls and trim without messing up the rest of the existing paint.

You just know that someone eventually is going to have the great idea of using this for a 120V circuit extension. I don’t think there is any way to idiot proof the product.

H
As I said, the decorator used this flat wire and plugged something into the receptacle below the sconce light. ( Excuse me Luminaire )(Did I spell that right?)

Anyway, the website states that it is low voltage but on the TV show it looked like line voltage. Needless to say, IMHO putting wiring on the wall and painting over looks like you could be in for trouble if you want to hang something on the wall right below the new sconce light.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard