ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 268 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#199487 02/27/11 09:41 PM
S
I am looking for some stock rigid non conductive material to space some electrical equipment out to a cabinet door. I have seen laminates and other material like ABS but I am not sure what is available out there. I googled and yahooed but keep winding up in India and China (no surprise there) I don't need a manufacturer but a vendor. Any suggestions?

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
T
Go to a bowling ball driller and ask for four or six undrilled polyurethane thumb slugs.

You can cut, drill and sand them to your heart's content.

You can also get them via ebay or other web businesses.

Tesla
K
Looks like McMaster Carr might have what you need. Here is one of several pages of electrical insulating materials. Check out their Garolite material as well. It comes in sheets, bars, strips, film, rods, etc.
Insulating material

L
Depending on the weight of the objects, can you mount them on the door?

I'm with Kjay....McMaster Carr...and you get it really...quick!

John
S
Tesla, Good idea except I live on an island in BF Alaska. the nearest bowling is in Seattle =)

Larry, I can not mount it to the door.

Kjay, thanx for the info. It looks like what I am looking for. I been in their catalogs a time or two over the years but never really got anything from them. Time to revisit them.

T
twh Offline
Stand-offs for buss bars, like the ones in a splitter. Hockey pucks are probably non-conductive, too. I'm not sure if the NHL has their pucks UL approved.

G
We used the stiff red insulating board...I think it was called Glastic.

Can you mount your stuff on a metal panel and then support that panel with some bus standoffs?

Ghost307
S
I was having difficulties locating even stand offs although I may have fond some. I'm not sure what the depth is going to be yet. I needed something I can field modify. Sometimes I work rather remote so its sometimes much more economical to field fabricate then get something that can't be modify in the field so if it doesn't fit, i'm screwed.

P
go to onlinemetals.com, they have UHMW plastic as well as others. This can be cut and drilled with regular tools. They will but pieces for your needs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard