ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 412 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Usually when I see that done it is daisy chaining devices in a gang box.

I suppose you could strip the RX jacket 12" or so, Fold it and jam it through the connector and connect it up inside but I bet the regular way ends up being faster.
314.16(B)(1) does acknowledge the method

Each loop or coil of unbroken conductor not less than twice the minimum length required for free conductors in 300.14 shall be counted twice.

Greg Fretwell
P
pooL8 Offline OP
I was trained in a wire-thru province, and moved to a pigtail province. Needless to say I was the fastest splicer in the province for about 3 hours smile

I share the view of the extinction of the electrician to the assembler... with all this quick-connect technology.
A prefab world needs very little but a rubber mallet... and a machine-u-facturer.

In my training with wire-thru, I learned very quickly that making a circuit with my hand, with a load downstream, is like gettin bit by an electric cat!. So I took my time to trace the circuit and shut it off most of the time (CEC 2-304 Disconnecting). Especially with a possible 9 wires going to one plug.

My experience with wire-thru has left me almost fearless of live pig-tail circuits. Feels like a 9v battery on my tongue. And with these weird plastic boxes, shorts are a rarity, almost refreshing.

In some ways I like pigtailing better, but I know that the more stricter the rules get (safety/security), the more technology becomes quick-connect, the less respect the next generation of electricians will have for that animal we call electricity, as we push it further away into products.

G
I suppose the most elegant method would be to pigtail with stranded wire and use back clamp devices.

Greg Fretwell
H
Reno,

Now that you mentioned it, I believe I did it too when I was an apprentice with my first boss. I think we also did it with the ground wire too.

C
If you don't pigtail, when you have a problem with a plug, then all plugs downstream are done.....in Canada, it's a code rule that you have to pigtail, so you don't interupt anthing down stream if you have to work on something. Here is another reason that i have been seeing lateley, if you check the push in's 2 or 3 years down the road, the mechanical mechanism loosens up over time and you start to get arching and sparking.....not good. Especially in my house.

I always thought it was a code rule too, but the only thing i ever found in the code was that a MWBC needed the neutral pigtailed

This is another discussion on the Canadian rule here

H
Actually having everything go off downstream might not be a bad idea. This way you know that there is a problem. If you pigtail all the devices, everything downstream would still work except the one bad receptacle and you might not find that out for many months later.

C
only problem is if i go into a business to fix a problem, some guy down the hall won't be happy when i switch out the plug and his computer crashes.....another reason to pigtail..i can't see a disadvantage to it.

Originally Posted by candyman
....in Canada, it's a code rule that you have to pigtail, so you don't interrupt anything down stream if you have to work on something.
.....some guy down the hall won't be happy when i switch out the plug and his computer crashes.....

Don't you shut off the power anyway before you change the receptacle??? crazy

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard