ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Cat Servant
Sorry, guys ... I resurrected an old thread - we have not yet heard from Mike after THIS quake.

He shouted today, so he's ok.

Wood work but can't!
H
That goes double for me. When I heard the news about the quake, I was worried about my friends here on this board. Also my son also had a friend down there working for the summer. I asked my son if his friend Mike was OK. He said that Mike had come home just last week.

Administrator
Thanks for the link Doug.

It's hard to imagine what that's like.

Bill

G
I have been looking at the news reports and my friend there is 3 blocks from the cordoned off area in downtown Christchurch (NE of the Fitzgerald Beasley corner) and I still have not heard anything from him. I assume the internet may be down there.

Greg Fretwell
Greg,
80% of Christchurch City has no electricity and from what I've heard from the lines company there it's going to be some time before supplies are re-instated, there is apparently a substantial amount of damage to the underground reticulation system.
A lot of the city is also without water service or a sewerage system with a LOT of pipes being damaged in the quakes.

One thing that really stood out to me last night up there, is the fact that you really have to see this first-hand to get an idea of the sheer scale of what has happened, pictures IMO don't really do it justice.
Christchurch recovered reasonably quickly from the September quake and to a certain degree was well on the mend, and now this has happened, who is to say that it isn't going to happen again.

I think this is what scares people so much about earthquakes, they are so unpredictable and happen unexpectedly.

G
I think I will take the hurricanes.

Greg Fretwell
R
This quake is a very bad one, Glad to hear that you are all right Mike.
You are still in Ashburton ?
The official death toll is 96 at the moment 2030hr TV3 news update, but with over 200 people still missing or unaccounted for, the forecast is very bleak.
The mood in NZ is somber as we all feel bad for the loss of life in Christchurch. NZ flags half mast in Auckland on the Harbour Bridge and Government buildings.
Extra rescue teams, and police from Australia, U.S.A. , Japan, U.K. are providing help with the USAR and police to search for people trapped in the rubble.
Power is expected to be off for many weeks or months in some badly affected area's as multiple cable faults and substations are seriously damages, as well as water and sewer systems.

The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.
Cat Servant
Remembe that the Richter scale is a logrithmic scale. In practical terms, that means this aftershock was only 1/4 as strong as the original quake.

How can they suffer a 7.0 with little damage - then be devastated by a 6.3?

I can't wait for some studies to be made of the damages.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard