ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (Scott35, ampherder), 267 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#199078 02/13/11 12:33 AM
P
Here is an old circle F receptacle that I removed from an apartment a year ago as I converted the circuit to 120. I'm guessing 1960s era.

[Linked Image from electrical-photos.com]

Last edited by Trumpy; 02/14/11 01:02 AM. Reason: Moved thread and integrated pictures
K
Paulding Circle F was a popular brand around here up until sometime in the late 1970’s or so. Their toggle switches back then had the thicker handles, like a lot of the commercial spec grade switches still do. I always thought their devices and wall plates were pretty decent. We even had them installed in our house when I was a kid and that house was built new in 1972. I guess they went the way of those Thomas square recessed lights, which were also pretty popular back then.

I remember their slogan used to be, "Work smarter not harder".

P
I guess they went the way of those Thomas square recessed lights, which were also pretty popular back then.

Can you post a pic?

Last edited by Trumpy; 02/14/11 01:03 AM. Reason: Formatting
K
I don’t have any pics of the old product, but it looks like Thomas still makes a similar looking fixture. I haven’t seen anyone use them in Resi for a long time around here though.

Thomas RC fixture

H
PA,

When I started out doing electrical work in the '70's my old boss and I use to install these old square cans every where. The were very popular and "Modern" looking lights. It use to be that every bedroom would have 1 hanging light, then every bedroom would have 2-4 square recess light fixtures. We also used something similar to these for closet lights and stairway lights, except they were smaller rectangles.

http://progresslighting.com/products.aspx?product=P6414-30TG

H
I forgot to mention, every kitchen had a clock outlet over top of the sink. Like this:

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/ProductDetails.aspx?SKU=34366

Harold:

Now, again, you are taking me for a walk down memory lane!

Amazing that progress still(!) has the install bars and remodel clips as "Optional" items, and not inclusive for $81.00.

As to the 120 volt clock outlet...surprised that is still around!

John
K
I actually had to install some of those clock receptacles a couple of years back for a lady who wanted to put some of those special lights over some pictures on her wall. That was the first time I had used them in years and had a heck of a time finding them locally. Now it seems everyone carries them and I can't go anywhere without seeing them on the shelf. I think I still have a couple left over from that job, but I really don't know when or if I will ever use them again.

N
Originally Posted by KJay
Paulding Circle F was a popular brand around here up until sometime in the late 1970’s or so. Their toggle switches back then had the thicker handles, like a lot of the commercial spec grade switches still do. I always thought their devices and wall plates were pretty decent. We even had them installed in our house when I was a kid and that house was built new in 1972. I guess they went the way of those Thomas square recessed lights, which were also pretty popular back then.

I remember their slogan used to be, "Work smarter not harder".

Paulding & Circle F were 2 different companies, GTE bought Circle F & renamed them "Sylvania", when GTE sold their electrical equipment group it became Challenger wiring devices, what happened after Westinghouse bought Challenger I dunno...

E
Originally Posted by KJay
I actually had to install some of those clock receptacles a couple of years back for a lady who wanted to put some of those special lights over some pictures on her wall. That was the first time I had used them in years and had a heck of a time finding them locally. Now it seems everyone carries them and I can't go anywhere without seeing them on the shelf. I think I still have a couple left over from that job, but I really don't know when or if I will ever use them again.

I did the same exact thing for my mother in her house (about a dozen of them). They were actually sturdy enough to hang the picture on. She told all of her friends about this and I found myself installing them all over town. I still get calls for them and I still keep quite a few of them in stock.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard