ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 371 guests, and 26 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
G
I think they did say the right thing in the other literature. This would be good for pigtailing on a wire when you ran into a "too short" wire. If you could get in there, strip off enough to slide this on and still have enough insulation to be safe it could be a valuable thing to have in your bag of tricks.

Greg Fretwell
G
Actually there does seem to be a disturbing line in the spec sheet PDF

-INLINE DESIGN ALLOWS SPLICING OF SOLID/STRANDED IN SMALL RACEWAYS

Greg Fretwell
S
Tongue in cheek - Who needs those extra strands, the reason they don't fit is because they are not needed. We can just trim them off, but then again they aren't touching anything.

I have some Ideal push in connectors (this is from about 5 years ago or so) and after trying them on stranded, granted it was smaller gage (for a low voltage setup) but within the gage limits on the listing, and after trying I went to a more sure splice because the strands would bend instead of catch. But, that being said they have some good pullout strength (as would be expected based on how they are built) once you get the strands in.

E
Well I'm glad to see that I'm not the only skeptic about these things. I haven't actually seen them yet except for literature, but something tells me that the retention force with #12 solid wire wouldn't be very good.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
I used the handful of these the rep gave me. They did work well on the wires that were just an inch or two into the box. I would not use them for much else. All I think of are the service calls I get from the pushins on the receptacles and switches.

Ob

Choose your customers, don't let them choose you.
H
OH! Did I open another can of worms? Sorry! smile Actually the first thing I thought of is, why don't they allow you to "pin Back" #12 ga wire in a receptacle, but yet they will allow you to pin back #12 here?

As for splicing in a small raceway, maybe that would be good (allowed?) in a Plugmold strip. However you don't think that anyone would use it to splice in a piece of EMT do you?

Harold:
Can you say 'hack' or 'meat cutter'??

John
Cat Servant
Harold, Wiremold makes their own connectors for splices within their product.

The wiremold splices are similar to crimpable butt splices, except that they are push-ins. They sure make things easier within wiremold!

Though I kept them on the truck, I never thought to use them elsewhere. Why would I? I was under the impression that you simply were not allowed to pull a splice into pipe. Now Ideal has me questioning myself.

G
I am not sure how you justify putting a splice in any raceway.

Greg Fretwell
That's cause you're not a 'hack' Greg.

I think Reno means 'Plugmold' or 'Wiremold' brand surface metal raceway w/removable fronts. AKA 2000, 3000, 4000 etc.

John
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard