ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#198716 02/02/11 11:52 AM
H
This post might apply to my friends north of us. I watch Holmes on Homes on TV and I know that the show is filmed in Canada. I see where most of the service panels are installed sideways. I was just wondering why they do it that way? Is it force of habit? Or is it as per NEC? Or just preference?

Harold:

I noticed that also, while jumping thru channels!

Let's see if our Canadian members have an answer (CEC required?)

John
Cat Servant
It's strictly a matter of convenience. CEC does not require that 'down' mean 'off.'

You'll also see a number of other differences, especially regarding specific GFCI and AFCI requirements. You'll often hear that it's required to remove / disconnect knob&tube. You'll hear of a limit on the number of lights or receptacles on a circuit.

You'll learn that it's OK to wire-nut aluminum to copper using what appear to be ordinary wirenuts (specific nuts are approved for the use). You'll see new FPE-like panels being installed. Panel-mounted surge protecters are described as 'necessary.'

And I'm sure there are other differences ...

E
They do this because Canadian code requires a separate sealed compartment to contain the feeders and main breaker. This is to protect people from exposure to the mains. Because of this, the branch circuits must enter the panel through the sides or the bottom. By mounting it sideways, all (or most) of the cables can come straight down, thus reducing labor required to dress and fasten them.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
Harold:
You got responses from 'Blue Collar Country' and Va, and after reading both, I see the reasoning.

John
C
Well i can tell you this living in Canada, the only code requirement regarding panels is the height, no breaker can be mounted higher than 5 feet...i see panels upside down and right side up but very rarely do we see them sideways..i guess some guys can't dress a panel properly and do it that way for speed...

N
Horizontal panel in Canada = Just fine. smile

Horizontal panel in the USA = Hack work. grin

Just another difference in codes & practices, the Canadian practices w/ the main seems to be a bit of overkill, but I would like to see the line side of the main guarded a bit better.

G
I think putting the main at the bottom would be a good compromise if you wanted the top clear for entering the branch circuits.

Greg Fretwell
M
His show is based in Ontario so I wonder if its more of a regional preference. Here in Manitoba I don't see that many mounted sideways.

H
MB,

I was thinking the same thing, I have seen where things are common in certain areas. A type of panel, or a way of wiring up of equipment.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard