ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 261 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
H
I use to have this problem with the electric and gas company. Who ever put the meter in first was suppose to stay, but many times I would have the electric service installed and the gas company would come next and put their gas meter right next to the electric. Then I usually had to move my service. Plus the gas company would rip up my ground rods and never tell me. I would find them on the ground under the service. Lucky I walked around the house before inspection otherwise I would have failed the job for sure.

Harold:

This is a point that should be suggested to ALL electricians and ECs!!!

"Lucky I walked around the house before inspection otherwise I would have failed the job for sure."

John
L
Originally Posted by candyman
I get the first in mentality, but you would think that job after job of them having to move there stuff, or the gc yelling and screaming until they finally drop the ceiling that it would occur to them, am i wrong?? I couldn't beleive it but i had a tin basher come up to me to discuss the job before it started about how we could work together, imagine that hun.....

Just one of those things.
Been dealing with it for years,even our own trade fights for location.

Everything is spaced and drawn,on many different prints.

Imagine how:

A 2x4 trough,smoke detector,occupancy sensor,security motion,sprinkler head & supply/return diffuser are to fit in that same 2x4 space.

L
Another reason,Most supers ( & subs) just want it done and on to the next one.
Additionally, the EC has to wait for the dwelling to be rain tight,this gives the others a big advantage to space. frown

Sounds like its time to have a chat with the GC. Get out the change orders. Bill him for your time and tell him let me know when its moved! Next time it it will be diffrent! One way or another!

Ob

PS As I get older I find we should all be thinking more like the lawyer's If I give advise,bill. Show up and its not ready, bill. Look at the job add it to the estimate. Does your doc diagnose you on the phone, no make an appointment, bill. It takes about 8 yrs to be an electrician, same as a doc? Sorry for the rant!

Last edited by Obsaleet; 02/06/11 02:52 PM.

Choose your customers, don't let them choose you.
H
Another fight I use to get into was with the plumber. They always ran the vent pipe right up the center line of the vanity. Right where the box for my vanity light should go. The thing that got to me, was that I use to work with the plumber on more than 1 job and you would think by the 2nd or 3rd house, they would remember my box placement.

T
Things get worse the other way round... if something gets in their way, plumbers here will just whack it with a hammer until they can cram their stuff in.

Last summer I helped a friend renovate her mid-50s condo and I had to replace 3 sections of conduit the plumbers had hammered flat to get their pipes through.

H
Texas,

We weren't that bad, sometimes though a plumber would drill through our wire and not tell us until the end of the job. That was bad.
On other jobs, (especially when you weren't working with friends) there was friction between the trades. Then you would get some outright damage to each others work. Like someone would put cement down a pipe. (being either electric or plumbing) That was borderline criminal offense.

G
Some years ago I saw a great response to the time-honored tradition of the other trades flattening the conduit stubs to make for easier walking.

The EC ran EMT in the slab, but the conduit stubs were IMC.

You should have seen the Sub's face the first time he rammed his gangbox into a conduit stub expecting it to bend out of the way.

Priceless!!

Ghost307
Sometimes it doesn't seem to matter who's there first! whistle

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard