ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 516 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
It also keeps the breakers all at the same height. We don't have the 42 breaker limit so some panels get quite large/tall if you mount them upright.
For the record a few Canadian codes.
12 outlet limit on branch circutis unless fixed known loads attached.
Smokes in bedrooms must NOT be AFCI.
Lighting only permitted on 15 amp branch circuits.
20 amp circuits MUST use 20 amp receptacles. Either straight 20 amp or 20 amp T slots permitted.

Cat Servant
To be fair to Mike Holmes, when he arrives he usually finds the overloaded panel with branch circuit wires passing right through the 'service' side, and there simply isn't enough wire to reroute the wires around the box and in the side.

By 'overloaded," I am referring to there being too many circuits in the panel - double tapped breakers, too many 'skinnys,' dedicated circuits being used for other tasks, etc. I am also given to understand there is a CEC requirement that the panel be installed with at least two unused spaces.

T
twh Offline
Aren't panels and receptacles supposed to be mounted with the ground down?

H
TWH,

That argument has been going on since they invented the three wire receptacle!

H
Reno,

I believe there are UL listed circuit breakers that are allowed to have 2 wires under them. I remember them being listed years ago, but I haven't checked on them lately.

Harold:

The only CB I am aware of OK for two (2) conductors are Sq D QO/QO-B. I'm not up to date on Homeline thou.

John
Cat Servant
Yes, Harold ... but my abilities to communicate are sometimes limited.

You're probably thinking along the lines of "it's OK to add some lights to a lighting circuit, as long as your load is under 15 amps- even if the wires go all the way back to the panel.' In that example, I agree with you.

I was thinking more along the lines of "gee, the panel is full, so I'll land the wire from the new addition on the breaker that's serving the dedicated bath circuit - thre furnace doesn't draw much." Do that, and it's no longer a dedicated circuit.

Anybody who has ever dealt with existing construction can tell you exactly what Mike Holmes will find the moment he walks on set. The same 'easy' or 'cheaper' solutions, the same problems created by poor planning and minimumal code compliance, the same educated ignorance.

What's worth noting - though a bit off topic- is that I've never seen Mike Holmes called in because of electrical problems. Instead, it's a cold bedroom, leaky roof, etc. The massive electrical work results from the violations they find once they open things up. The job keeps growing ....

L
Horizontal panel:

I don't really care,But I must ask.......

Why the heck did they mount the door to open UP?
Now one must 'prop' it or hold it!

(RE; the show a few days ago)

T
twh Offline
The direction the door opened was less important than which side the main was on.

leland #198852 02/06/11 12:20 AM
N
Originally Posted by leland
Horizontal panel:

I don't really care,But I must ask.......

Why the heck did they mount the door to open UP?
Now one must 'prop' it or hold it!

(RE; the show a few days ago)

I assume that is the reason for Canadian panels w/o doors I see in pictures...

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard