ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 297 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#198685 02/01/11 03:11 AM
C
HOW LONG SHOULD IT TAKE TO ROUGH WIRE IN A NEW CONSTRUCTION HOUSE OF NORMAL SIZE, NO FANCY STUFF JUST YOUR AVERAGE 2000 SQ FOOT HOME?????

Welcome to the forum I havent wired a new house for 35 years, think it took 2 guys 3 days back then.

G
I bet my wife would give you 2 days for the rough on a 2000 back when things were rolling. (8-9 week houses) Maybe a little longer if she stacked another trade in there but it is hard to mix a sparky with anyone else since you are all over the place.

Greg Fretwell
W
Two days sounds about right on a 2000 sqft place, if all the material is on-site, or in the truck, and the lighting plan is complete. I am going in to my 2nd month on a rough in and to date only have 1/4 of the lighting outlets in place, due to indecision. All of the receptacles are in place, but no wire pulled, because the walls are still subject to move. This will be a loooong project, I see many progress payments on this one.

Jimmy

Life is tough, Life is tougher when you are stupid
There is one EC that was doing 'new' resi in the Twp I work in that did a SFD of normal size in one day; rough & service. Houses ranged in the 2k to 2.5k SF.

He had three (3) 2 man crews there, so it worked out to 40+ man hours total. The builders loved him.

That was his 'thing'; new resi construction only. He had a shop with materials all 'on hand', and the crews would have everything they needed. Inspection was 99% no issues, as he personally walked the job before scheduling the inspection.

Other guys locally are in for two to three days, so it basically works out to the same man hours.

The McMansions (still building) are another story. One is in the third week of rough.

John
H
In my younger days, (LOL) I worked with my boss and 1 other helper and we knocked off a SFD of small size with no extras in 2 days with service. However even a small house can run a little longer with the more fancy extras you have in there. If you have a single light fixture per room, then it shouldn't take as long. If you have 10 hi hats, smart house technology and a lot of built in furniture,those kinds of extras, then it could take a lot more time.

C
I KIND OF FITGURED IT WOULD TAKE 2 GUYS, 40 HOURS TO ROUGH IN AND SPLICE FOR INSPECTION AND ANOTHER DAY OR TWO TO FINISH.....ANY THOUGHTS ON COST.....MY DAD USED TO HAVE A COST FOR THE JOB, BUT HE WOULD ALWAYS LEAVE LIGHTING OUT AS A TIME AND MATERIAL FINISH....I KIND OF REMEMBER THE AVERAGE COST FOR A HOUSE WAS ABOUT $5000-$7000 SOUND ABOUT RIGHT???

candyman,

First of all welcome to ECN! smile

Please don't leave your CapsLock on when typing. All caps makes the posts hard to read, and is considered on most bulletin boards to be "yelling" at us.

i asked a local builder here a couple months ago and he said about 14,000 with spec fixtures

T
Things have changed a lot.

The AFCI circuits are a factor. Sometimes they cause real grief.

Just figure to lose money on all of your early work until you discover your reality.

The first time out the door in this market should be a money loser.

Manys the time that a GC is bringing you on board because of fiascos in his own very recent past. A GC will always toss out totally absurd numbers to a newbie. Financially ruining subs is all in a days fun for Generals.

Tesla
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard