ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#198524 01/25/11 07:34 PM
Cat Servant
Do the employers here place any value on an applicant having BICSI certification?

Do any of the working folk find the certification to be of value?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

S
As an engineer and specifier, my specifications require one. Do I think that someone not certified can do as good a job? Absolutely, but with that being said, our IT department who control this spec also expect a 25 year warranty on the job, thus the requirement which puts in place the warranty.

On the other hand, I have no idea what are the qualifcations or the cost to become BICSI certified other than there are 3 levels. I believe that the BICSI requirements may be of more value in the design phase.

Cat Servant
I've worked a few jobs where the data work had to be "certified." I still don't know what that means - but no one ever asked me for any documentation that I had received any training.

I've known folks who were 'trained' by the vendor whose alarms, etc., they sold, or who went to seminars put on by connector manufacturers.

A look at the BICSI site tells me the course takes a week, costs about $900, plus a $140 book. It appears to address ALL types of low-voltage wiring, from Cat-6 to Coax and fiber. Add in the hotel expense - the more advanced levels are taught only in Florida - and it's a serious investment. The certification is good for three years.

I think you can understand why I wanted to know if there was any 'return on the investment.'

G
Personally I'm more interested in the end result than the certificates.
I specify certified installers only to head off that future day when I try to get something fixed under warranty only to be told that the warranty is void because the installer wasn't qualified/trained/certified to work on that manufacturer's stuff.
As long as it's installed right, works fine, tests okay and I get a full warranty; I really don't care if "Bob the Builder" puts it in.
smile

Ghost307
G
BICSI is trying to do the same thing to "data" that NFPA did to the electrical trade. They would really like their certification to be incorporated into the law.

Greg Fretwell
L
I've worked a few jobs where the data work had to be "certified." I still don't know what that means - but no one ever asked me for any documentation that I had received any training.

I suspect that the "certified" work meant that the finished wiring was tested to ensure it met all of the required data rates, cross talk, etc. specifications. Not that the installer was "certified" to install it.

Link Copied to Clipboard