ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#198507 01/24/11 05:25 PM
M
Hi Guys. Anyone ever use an old chimney as a chase? I have a customer who wants receptacles above their fireplace which used to be a wood burning fireplace. It is no longer used as such but instead has an insert with a 4" exhaust up the existing chimney. I actually called the inspector and told him that the chimney is no longer used for exhausting a wood burning fireplace, therefore the temp will never get hot enough to do any damage. He was ok with it being used as a chase as long as I secured and maintained a distance between my BX and the 4" exhaust.

Anyone done this before?

Never trust an electrician with no eyebrows!!
G
I've seen abandoned elevator and dumbwaiter hoistways used as chases...I don't see any real differences with your old chimney.
Securing the raceway may be a bit tricky due to the small size of the chimney, but it certainly sounds like it would work.

Ghost307
P
What if someone wanted their fireplace back? Just to be the devil's advocate, is a chimmney approved and listed as a chase? Is mc approved and listed for in chimmneys?

My first question would be, how old is the chimney?
Reason I ask this is that boring holes in a brick chimney could weaken the structure of the chimney itself.

I have to agree with the comment of ghost about the cable being un-supported on a vertical run, you can't merely have a cable hanging in mid-air.

F
I have other question to ask ya for the 4 inch insterst what class pipe you are seeing it ? if class A forget it it will get more than just warm engouh to get the cable get soft and can cause short circuit.

Class B is iffy question depending on how big the fireplace burner is.

Really I am not too crazy to leave it hanging loose in the chimeny area especally too close to the pipe.

Merci.
Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

L
Originally Posted by Trumpy
Reason I ask this is that boring holes in a brick chimney could weaken the structure of the chimney itself.

I have to agree with the comment of ghost about the cable being un-supported on a vertical run, you can't merely have a cable hanging in mid-air.

#1) Structural concerns are for real. But with out a permit,a warranted consideration? (from an official stand point)

#2) Aren't all 'snaked' in old work cables 'unsupported'?
Balloon construction etc.

#3) My main concern, Personally,Is that flue liner double insulated?

3A) For the reason I can not assure 4" of clearance the whole way.

M
Originally Posted by Trumpy

Regardless of age is there really a concern with structural integrity if there is a 1/2" hole drilled into it? To clarify other comments/suggestions the 4" duct going up the chimney is in a space that is about 8"wide. The BX is only loose in the chimney for about 24" and the rest is straped. If the home owner ever wanted a wood burning fireplace again I guess he would have to remove the BX and fix the holes and liners he drilled trough. Remember I did ask my local inspector if it was acceptable and he had no issues with it.

Personally I don't like it but thats what the customer wanted and it was accepted by inspection.

Never trust an electrician with no eyebrows!!
A
Don't cross trades.Today you run cable in old chimney,tomorrow in old sewer line? Cut walls.If owner have to many questions call Electrical Inspector-he will help you.

Link Copied to Clipboard