ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Trying to measure the short-circuit current of a 230V receptacle was the cause for many blown fuses in my old school wink
For some odd reason, the classrooms were on breakers, but the shops had Diazed fuses. Thanks to penny-pinching, bureaucracy and who-knows-what-else spare fuses were always in short supply. I never encountered "repaired" fuses, but did have some fun with fuses "borrowed" from "less important circuits". We needed more receptacles for our setup (or at least one closer to our work place, there was only one long extension cord) but our lab teacher told us: "Those don't work, never did while I was here!". We pressed the issue though and got a look at the panel... no fuse for the afflicted circuit! Someone had "borrowed" it!

I don't know how the flukes died, but they ended up giving seriously whacky voltage readings. We had one lab setup where we considered the voltages odd, so we swapped the meters (we had used one for amps and one for volts) and got equally weird but completely different readings! When a third DMM didn't improve the situation I grabbed an analog one and we immediately got the result we expected.

I'm not sure if those Flukes were auto-range, if not they might have been damaged by setting the wrong voltage range I guess.

T
With a lot of use there are many ways for a DMM to go south.

The leads

The lead-sockets

Internal connections -- particularly wire to solder...

And fried chips, displays...

Further, they DO have internal fuses. Corrosive opportunities also exist.

------

Your tale of abused equipment is the primary reason why I started bringing my OWN 'company provided' tools.

Every time Company Tools showed up they were broken. What happens is the troops lie -- constantly -- about their tool experience. So their forman gives them a brand new tool and they promptly ruin it and then hide it from the foreman.

This happened on one of my jobs -- a Greenlee hydraulic punch ruined before a SINGLE Knock Out was performed. It cost the fool his job.

If he'd asked for help I could have solved his mistake in 10 seconds. Instead he tried to dis-assemble the tool while it was stuck in the panel can!

Tesla
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard