ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Does anyone else find it odd that the electric cars getting hawked today have extra electrical loads like back-up cameras as standard equipment?

Apparently plain old mirrors don't work anymore...

Hey, I have an idea; since we now have a limited electrical supply...let's deplete it as fast as we can!

Ghost307
M
What about the electric Humvee? will they get the same mileage as a Tesla or a civic?
My motorcycle can go 450 km on $25.00 My car is currently about $55.00 to go the same distance.
I agree there is not much to compare but a Prius gets 50 to 60 KM per liter. That is better than my motorcycle but not my wifes scooter and my bicycle beats them all once you convert to calories ;-)
So how do you compare $/Km from electric to gas? I bet the Prius electric is a lot more than the hybrid in lifetime operating cost and I suppose that will take a few years.
I still think most of this green technology is "Green Washing" and that a complete system analysis might actually prove that electric is not cheap nor the best environmental cost balance. In that equation nuclear, coal fired plants VS Hydro-electric will have to be part of the costs analysis as well as the environmental.

What does a need to run our generating facilities 24 hours at high demand vs just day time? Will moving the energy source from fuel to electric mean the water must flow through the dam during what was fill the dam up time? and create water shortages or bigger dams?
In BC we have been arguing the benefit of another dam in the interior. Funny how 1 of the greenest and most reliable electric generation methods gets shot down to protect the local ecosystem by the same people that are fighting the gas and coal fired generation in favour of wind or solar even though wind and solar are not reliable and often the Hydro electric is still the most environmentally appropriate method here. Heck we go weeks without seeing sunshine here.
The best locations for wind farms are also the same places where people fight to keep the natural beauty of a park or desolate place. All just Green Washing to me.

S
Green washing is new to me Mike, grand analogy

and while we're all knawing the personal transportation issue over, let's not forget the Segway

Ironic that it ended badly for it's creator

~S~

M
Sparky
I have not heard the WIKI definition of Green washing, if there is one but a couple of Hippies I know lent it to me. Basically the marketing hype associated with giving the impression that this choice is good for the environment. Almost always without audit or accountability.

G
Funny, they are taking out dams here. The fish are more important than the CO2.
You couldn't build the Colorado river dams or the TVA today.

Greg Fretwell
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard