ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#19795 01/03/03 10:16 AM
W
I have what I think would be a fairly simple question on hard wiring a lighting device. I'm not sure if that's what this forum is for so I figured I'd check first. Or is there a better place where a "joe smoe" like me could get advice from someone who knows what their doing?

Thanks a ton for any help!

#19796 01/03/03 10:24 AM
C
Post the question
Chris

#19797 01/03/03 10:44 AM
W
Thanks Chris!

I was wanted to put some rope light on the underside of my patio. The problem is that I don't want to just have it "plugged in" outside.

I have a porch light thats controlled by a switch inside the house, and was wondering if there was a safe and simple way to wire the rope light directly up to the same wires the porch light uses. So that both would come on when I turn on the switch from inside. I'm pretty good with auto wiring and computer wiring.. but I'm kind of scared of messing with house wiring to much. Here's an example of the rope light with the plugs they sell. They don't seem to sell other connection types.
http://www.ccl-light.com/docs/rope/120v2clear.html

It seems that I could possibly just cut the plug off, and attach it to the porch light wires but I could be wrong. I just put up a new dining table light the other day, and I swear it used a wire that just looked like a plug never got put on the end ot it.

Any help would be great!

#19798 01/03/03 10:50 AM
J
Your best bet would be to have an EC install a GFCI outlet with and "In Use" cover on it wired to the interior switch. If you cut the end of the cord off you will most likely be violating the UL listing of the light and take on quite a bit of liability yourself. The GFCI would keep people protected if the cord was to ground out somehow and the In Use cover will keep most water off the plug for a nice neat installation.

#19799 01/03/03 11:06 AM
S
Also, if I'm not wrong, most of those light strings have a tiny fuse in the plug (to protect against short circuits in the light string).

All of the UL Listed X-mas tree lights I've seen this year have a fuse (or even two fuses in the case of unpolarized plugs) in the plug.

If you cut off that plug, you're eliminating a safety device that could protect you and your property if there is some sort of short ciruit somewhere in that string.

#19800 01/03/03 11:18 AM
W
Good point! Thanks for the replies!

So here's another idea then. I'm trying to save money here because I'm putting my wife through school.. which basically makes me broke! hehe

Anyhow, I get a "inuse" box to cover my outlet outside. Then I could plug the rope light into the outlet. Heck, maybe I could even hook up one of those photo eye timer things to make it turn on by itself. I just wanted to avoid having a lose plug hanging down, and needing to plug it in everytime. Thanks for your advice! If you think of anything else then let me know!

Link Copied to Clipboard