ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Another factor to consider.

Unlike most radiation, these towers use waveguides and other tricks to deliver a shaped emission.

In this case, the emitter attempts to spread as nearly horizontal a beam pattern as possible. ( within limits )

So if you're standing next to the tower, at the base, you are effectively shadowed. Anyone phoning from such a spot is very likely to find that the next tower over is the one linking up to their cell phone.

So, by being at the ground level, right next to a tower, you're probably in a very weak zone. You're actually in the shadow of the nearest, and at the edge of acceptable performance for the next tower.

My home is right at the crossover for Verizon. So my phone gets great reception in the backyard -- then nothing to lousy in the garage -- and then terrific at the front property line with a direct line of sight to the tower. Yeah, my house is on a hill.

Last edited by Tesla; 01/06/11 09:00 PM.

Tesla
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

R
Originally Posted by Tesla
So, by being at the ground level, right next to a tower, you're probably in a very weak zone. You're actually in the shadow of the nearest, and at the edge of acceptable performance for the next tower.

Could you say with certainty,
that the "EMF" from that tower is weaker near my appartment,
than for example at 200 metres away from it?

smile

Cat Servant
This thread is beginning to annoy me. As far as I'm concerned, this new member is neither curious or concerned - he's just trying to muck things up.

I say this because he has responded to Tesla's excellent, detailed response with an unansewerable question. The question deliberately ignores Tesla's explanation of how the transmissions are aimed, rather than radiating equally in all directions. The OP is, in effect, asking 'how long is a rope?'

The OP has been directed to specific FCC resource materials on the topic. Let him read and learn if that's his desire; let him save his bar-room philosophy for another forum.

M
Reno. I get your point and I agree this site is for discussion between experts and not necessarily this subject. I am an amateur radio operator and find the discussion stimulating as I have learned some other sources for this subject. While the lack of aknowledgment from the poster is a little irritating I have still gleaned some new information.
Radiationman
You have been given the resources and links to the information you seek but if you really want to know what the emmissions are in your apartment then get a person with the test equipment to take direct readings in your living space and only those measurments can determine whether the levels of exposure are dangerous to you. You have enough to see if those levels are considered dangerous.
An RF meter in the frequency range of the output of that cell tower and you will know the exposure levels that effect you. Then you can take that information and debate it with the radio nutbars and real experts.
I think your generic questions have been addressed but the questions about your apartment cannot be answered any better than we have already.
I would not avoid living in an apartment near a cell tower. I might avoid a radio station transmitting at 50,000 watts especially if I did not like their programming ;-)
respectfully
Mshea

This mod will make a decission soon....lock or leave?

John
R
I have found the answers I was hoping to find from you people, over at the physics forums.

It was not my intention to annoy, although I can see how I have.
Thank you all.

R
how strong is the natural human energy field by the way?

G
What's a "natural human energy field"?
It sounds like 'The Force' from the movie Star Wars, but worded differently.

Reno, you have my vote.

Ghost307
I'm going to lock this thread, it's against the terms and conditions of the Forums here.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard