ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 137 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#197920 12/31/10 12:25 PM
S
Does anyone know if Milwallkee? roto bits will interchange with Makita? Or better question, will any of the other brand roto drill bits interchange with Makita. My son gave me a nice makita HR3851 roto hammer, but I need bits for it. I'm having a problem finding the bits I want. Home Depot is a supplier but getting service from them is sort of a pain. That's the only supplier listed around my area. Their site says the drill accepts spline bits. Is this the same as other brands?? Thanks for the input...

Cat Servant
I'll answer this not just for you, but for all those who have never had a 'real' roto-hammer.

Such tools conform to a variety of 'standard' shanks. That is, you are not tied to any particular maker for the bits.

The smallest tools have "SDS" shank bits. Basically a round shank with some flutes and flat spots. These contours allow the bit to be hammered in various directions by the tool, while keeping the tool from hammering itself to pieces.

The next 'size' category has two completely different types of bits, "Spline" and "SDS Max." Like the competing videotape formats, these two types represent different approaches to solving the same problems. While the "spline" type lost the competition, you should be able to easily get a variety of bits from many sources.

The largest category of these tools are 'chisel only" (no drilling), and use different size hex shanks.

Probably the most complete line of bits and core drills is made by Bosch. You'll quickly wonder how you went for so long without the tool.

Sparky:
You should have a WWGrainger store in your area; or you can access them on-line. They carry SDS & spline drive bits and accessories. Another source is Bosch (Online) as they make a full line of bits in all flavors.

John
S
Thanks for the replies. I found a "Bolt and Tool Supply" company here where I live. And they had what I wanted. I got me a 1 1/8" masonary bit for now. I'm thinking about getting the 2 1/2" core bit. For one of my previous questions, I think it may help me in cutting out brick for outside lights and outlets. They were considerable less expensive than what I saw online. The saw itself runs about $115.00 and the short extension for about $40.00 or so. Online I was looking at around $ 260/$ 270. I probably should have went ahead and ordered it for tax write off:D But I'm one day too late:(.. Anyway I can use my Makita roto now. I already bought me a "ground rod driver" for it, though I haven't used it yet. I paid around $ 80.00 in all for it. Now I should have fun driving the next ground rods:)

Link Copied to Clipboard