ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#197842 12/23/10 05:07 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Guys,
I'm now in the market for a new phone, considering I just stood on my Nokia 2360, as it fell out of the car as I was getting out, the screen is pretty much had it.
Although I can still see the bits of the screen that matter (just). cry

Now, I like the Nokia phones, but with the new lot of "smart-phones" and of course the iPhone on the market, I was wondering what you guys are using these days?

On the other side of the coin, do you have any phones that you've used in the recent past that you don't like?, you can't buy advice like this and you'll never hear it from a salesman either.

Mobile phones have come a really long way since the days of the "Brick-phone". grin

Your thoughts/advice?

Cheers,
Mike. wink

Last edited by Trumpy; 12/23/10 05:19 AM. Reason: Wrong phone
Trumpy #197846 12/23/10 01:01 PM
Mike:
I still have a LG CU515 'flip' style cell phone. It was the most 'basic' phone available two years back when I needed a new phone. It has features that I never have used. I use the camera on occasion, and the 'alarm' feature, but all I wanted and need is a phone.

I don't text, play games, go on the internet (with the phone) etc., but it's all in there, although it is relic tech after 2 years.

I see a lot of guys with 'smart phones', Iphones, Blackberries, and the new G4; but only a few with 'old tech' phones like mine.

IMHO, I forsee myself having a difficult time locating what I call a 'plain old phone', and I probably will end up with some type of smart phone, and have learn the features!

John
HotLine1 #197847 12/23/10 03:50 PM
M
My last phone was a Samsung flip phone with text, radio, phone and MP3 player. All I ever did with it was phone. Nothing else and the phone was an under performer at that. Lots of dropped calls, pregnant pauses where you think the other end was disconnected. It had great standby time so there was a plus for this phone.
I recently bought an I phone direct from Apple without a contract or locked to a provider which i understand is only available to us Canadians ;-).
I love this thing. It replaces my PDA which was clunky. Anyone interested in a Dell Axim 50 V? It works well as my Ipod. The camera is pretty good and the dozens of Apps are often very handy. But it does cost more per month as you pretty much need some data plan.
It can use the 3g or wifi to make phone calls on skype which is cheaper to make Long distance calls but you really need to be careful with Data Roaming. It can be turned off which you should do if out of the country or can only get access through another company's service.
One big advantage to having an unlocked phone is when i go south to visit the US I can get an AT&T Sim card and pay as you play plan. I get a local number and don't incur roaming charges. When I return home I put my local provider Sim card back in for my at home rates.
I was recently in India and you can get 400 local minutes and a Sim card for $10.00. Even with data for very low fees. I mention India just so you all know how much more we pay for the same services.

mikesh #197849 12/23/10 06:36 PM
I have a droid incredible and i love it. Many features that come handy while on the road or on the jobsite. I have it protected with one of these cases.
http://www.tridentcase.com/product_6_6.html

Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live

Niko #197853 12/23/10 09:48 PM
T
My bad experience with an iPhone was really a bad experience with AT&T. Their network stinks.

You're in luck -- 'cause it's got to be better in New Zealand.

Tesla
Tesla #197859 12/24/10 12:46 AM
I have an iPhone 2G (original) on T-Mobile and have not been that impressed with it as a phone. Yes, it does a lot of other cool things with the web and apps, but I've always found that the apps I really want/need are not free. As far as the phone part itself goes, it only rings about 60% of the time; the rest of the time I just get a notification that someone has called but no ring or opportunity to pick up. Voice mail notification is also dodgy; every time I turn it on, or go out of service range and back I get notification even when I don't have any voice mail. Battery life is also terrible.

Based on what I've heard from users of the newest iPhone 4G, they haven't really fixed many of the problems, just introduced new ones. Previous to the iPhone, I had an HTC Shadow (Windows Mobile) phone and I liked the software a bit more than the iPhone, but its disadvantage was the physical design of the phone. It was a slider, and I wore it out pretty quickly. The iPhone seems to be a little more durable since there are no moving parts, although I have developed some dead pixels in the screen.

I will admit that some of the problems I'm having with the 2G is probably because I'm not using AT&T and have to use some "back doors", though it's not really inspired me to consider buying a new one. It's definitely not worth $300 and being held hostage by AT&T at $80+ a month. The $99 3GS seems more sensible, but I don't think I will ever buy a new one until the AT&T exclusivity contract has expired.

noderaser #197871 12/25/10 01:28 AM
S
It all comes down to what you need in a phone, the service reliability in the areas you work and what you are willing to pay for. I use an iPhone and its my third arm. It's more like a hand held computer that has a phone as an accessory. I have many codes, catalogs, and I could put constuction drawings and specs on it if I choose too. They are not cheap but mine has paid for itself many times over.

Smartphones in general have many apps that can make the job easier and be more effective on the ground. The camera, email, instant messager, and internet as well allows me to be effective in the field.

What ever phone you get, it's s business expense hence it's a right off

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
sparkyinak #197926 12/31/10 09:42 PM
Trumpy Offline OP
Thanks for your input, guys. wink

What I would really like to have is a phone that is "ruggedised", not unlike the Panasonic Toughbook computer.
Phones seem to have got more flimsy over the years.

Trumpy #197929 12/31/10 11:17 PM
Mike:
I don't know the availability in NZ but 'T-Mobile' had/has a phone that they hail as 'great for the construction guys' but it features the PTT technology. (Push to Talk)

I'll see if I can get any further tech info on it Tuesday.

John

Link Copied to Clipboard