ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 265 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#197796 12/20/10 06:48 PM
B
Does anyone know of a manufacturer/part number that:

Switch on a 120v 15/20amp circuit with a motor load of about 1.5 amps. When the switch/button is pushed in the switch would remain active for only 5-10 seconds? This would be used to engage a toilet pump motor for that time period and then cycle off automatically.

Thanks,

Bob

BobV
M
A time to off TD relay controlling a motor starter.
Press the button and the relay closes, activating the starter. The TD starts counting down then opens the control contact and the starter opens. All a pretty basic Time delay circuit.

B
Thanks Mike. Unfortunately I don't think that would look to good in a homeowners finished bathroom. I was wondering if anyone knows of a device made by a company such as leviton that might fit into an old work box.

Bob

BobV
G
Could you put the delay off relay at the pump?

Greg Fretwell
Without getting in to deep, how about one of those Intermatic (or others) timers? Don't know if they have one in seconds, but they do in minutes & hours.

John
Cat Servant
Why re-invent the wheel?

I'm not clear as to the application - but obviously the pump is used to either empty something or fill something.

A small plastic sump/tank, holding both the pump and a float switch, would only run aslong as it took to pump out a 'flush.' Or, a similar arrangement would fill the tank.

T
A correctly plumbed watercloset will have an ejection pump if needed.

Is someone improvising?

If you need to use an ejection pump there is NO WAY you can have any confidence in a time delay circuit.

Further, these and similar pumps don't like to pump dry.

I'd leave all of the design to a plumber and step back.

Tesla
B
Tesla is probably right but I thought I would see if someone had a simple fix solution. The uit is located behind the toilet and exposed. So there isn't anywhere to put any equipment. The existing float switch apparently has failed. The unit is sealed and is not intended to be accessible for repair. The cost of replacement is more than the owner can afford at this time and was hoping there might be a temporary solution in the meantime.

BobV
G
This may work for you. It will hold the load from 1 second to 24 hours per button press.

http://www.intermatic.com/products/timers/in-wall%20timers/digital%20auto-off%20timers.aspx

Greg Fretwell

Link Copied to Clipboard