ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 261 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#197725 12/16/10 11:36 PM
L
leland Offline OP
Another- (RENO) we must know other codes.

Local ordnance,via 'sewer commission': Septic ejection/grinder MUST have provisions for generator hook up.

#1 I feel this is a way over step !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Another design issue causing undo expense to the home owner/seller.Thus influencing my Competitive bid.

#2 My plan: 23A-120/250V 1 Phase-4-wire
\
Install in the control cabinet: A male L14/30 - on the bottom.
then install a WP female wip cord cap.

The end result: cord & plug for disconnect,and a male recept. for the gen set cord.

After that- your problem.
No requirement that home owner HAS generator- just that 'provisions ' are made.

Any problems? My local pros think not.

Leland:
One may question the use of 'cord' for permanent wiring method, IF I understand that you are connecting the 'normal' supply via cord.

I have to say that sounds like a plan.

John
L
leland Offline OP
Absolutely John.

Permanent wire to a WP box, Then cord and strain relief- perhaps 18"- with a WP female cap- then plugged into a male rec. located in (depending on room-have not seen the controller as of yet-)the bottom- or a suitable WP enclosure.

In and out for a whopping $400.00 +- as opposed to a Grand for a generator interface set up.

Am I far off base?

J
Well, you could put in a 2 throw disconnect. If they don't install the genny, they never wire the other side. If they do, they already have their MTS.
Joe

Le:
Joe may have a good idea...Sq D for one has a double throw, 2-3-4 pole, NEMA1 & NEMA3 switch, with full ratings.

May be in same $$ area & a little less time to install.

John
Cat Servant
The application surprises me just a bit.

First, the pumps seem just a tad large for a home. Maybe there's a significant lift or something.

Otherwise ... is it really a requirement for a generator hook-up? Or just a requirement for back-up power?

I ask because I have seen pre-packaged battery systems for such pumps. Set on the floor near the pumps - plug pumps into the unit - plug the unit into house power - done.
Might be worth a visit to the plumbing house.

Question. Why the grinder?

Wood work but can't!
Cat Servant
Alan, the 'grinder' is a perforated plate in the intake of the pump. A knife spins across this plate. The device is intended to cut up stringy material -think paper towels and sanitary napkins- before it enters the pump.

Pumps have trouble handling stringy materials, as they tend to wrap themselves around the shaft - eventually binding the pump.

L
leland Offline OP
All good questions.

1- I have not seen the specs for the pump- Builder over the phone from the book- 120/230 30A-

Hence the 30A twist lock idea.

Priced out the MTS- $400- indoor model. This will not meet the 'insight' requirement.

Reno- Good point. Back up power. I will check.

Please understand, This info is comming from a neurotic builder with no buyer yet. and power is still another 2 weeks away.

But, all the finish is done, so as to 'stage' the dwelling.

Pain in my Butt this guy has become!!!!!!
Wants it all temped out to look finished,from a neighbors 20A ckt. (on ext cords) AAARRRGGGGG.

Still, Does my original idea sound reasonable?

Cat Servant
I like your original idea. There's no getting away from some use of cords; the pumps and floats have cords, and a portable gennerator will tie in with a cord. There's no way to switch power supplies that is more idiot-proof than having the guy actually move the plug.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard