ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#197539 12/05/10 01:39 PM
K
KJay Offline OP
Anyone tried the new Greenlee R/T Nail Eater bits with the replaceable cutter tips? I saw an ad for them in EC magazine and they look to be the cat’s whiskers, but I haven’t seen them for sale anywhere yet. Are they a lot more expensive than the regular Nail Eaters?

Greenlee R/T Bits

KJay #197556 12/07/10 10:34 AM
Kjay:
I saw the ad last nite in EC mag. Interesting concept & improvement on what I remember as a great bit. As I put the tools away a few years ago, I doubt if I will buy one.
If I see it in any suppliers I'll check the $$

John
Cat Servant
I was at Lowes yesterday, and I saw that Greenlee has been making some changes to their line ...

While not the exact bits discussed by this thread, I did see some Greenlee augers that were quite short - maybe 6" OAL- and that had 1/4" hex shanks. This would make them suitable for use in impact drivers, and a direct competitor to the Irwin Speed-bor Max (with which I've had great success).

K
KJay Offline OP
The replaceable cutters seem to be the new thing. Looks like a change for the better. I see that Milwaukee is also making their self-feed augers with replaceable cutters as well. Maybe now I won’t cringe quite as bad when I hit a hidden nail while drilling with one of these.

KJay #197567 12/07/10 10:25 PM
S
i'd be interested

i gotta bucket ful of 'nail eaters' that lost thier appetite here

~S~

F
I will like to buy one also if they do come in couple more sizes I will be thrilled and justifed the cost due one of my augar bit is pretty close to end of the life after few repeating resharping.

but I will wait for a while until it will show up in European side otherwise I can order and have them shipped to my area in France and give a heck a run with it.

Merci.
Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

C
Another thumbs up for the Irwin speedbor max. Purchased the kit with multiple sizes (3/8 to 1 1/4" i believe) The 12" locking extension is great for drilling through multiple studs.

G
I see two issues with "eating nails". One, does the structural inspector have an issue? Didn't they need that nail?
Two, is there a burr that could damage an RX jacket or the insulation?
It is great that you don't tear up the bit but I think you should start another hole as soon as you feel the nail.

Greg Fretwell
T
Greg...

California uses cripple studs and jack studs like you cannot believe due to tremors....

There are so many nails in these 'window packages' that your chance of punching through without hitting multiple nails = zero.

In the past I've had to resort to hole saws, bi-metallic of course.

Tesla
Tesla #197614 12/09/10 03:44 PM
M
A friend bought 1 and said wood can get between the cutter and the shaft which increases the number of clogs and at least once the screw tip came out when he was trying to clear the bit. Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

One plus was the cutter is much harder so it does stay sharp much longer./

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard