ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 335 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
B
E-scott—

Did they toss in a twist-lock version too?

B
E-scott—

How about a surge-protector version?

W
Herrington Catalog sells very short ( and probably very overpriced ) extension cords designed to "Liberate your Power Strip from Transformer Tyranny". Seems like a reasonable idea.
http://www.herringtoncatalog.com/t748.html

It is much easier these days to find outlet strips that have transformer friendly outlets so that there is probably less of a "need" for these mini extension cords.

Then there was the recent post for Leviton's new transformer/phone jack device to more easily mount wall/cordless phones.

C
C-H Offline
The transformer tyranny is soon over. Today the small lightweight switching power supplies are at the same price as the conventional transformers, but with much better performance. Expect those heavy wall warts to be gone altogether in five years. Better still, most seem to accept 90-264V and any frequency. Nice when travelling or moving.

S
I've made up a few of those little extension cords for wall warts using short pieces of extra lamp cord leftovers.

At home I use them for the wall warts for my cordless phone base, answering machine, etc.

At work I have two - one for my portable radio/CD-player combo and one for the power supply to the speaker-phone on my desk.

Since I have a ton of Nema 1-15 male and female caps at home, it actually does come out cheaper than those pre-made ones.

I usually use #18 gauge cord since these things usually consume somewhere in the area of a couple of watts (two or three at the most) and the transformer/rectifier packs are all un-grounded with non-polarized plug pins.

C-H:

As far as SMPSs go, I don't think we'll see the old style x-former based power packs go away any time soon.

For example, you wouldn't wan to use a SMPS for a portable TV or radio. In my experience these things produce too much RF interference. Not good for something designed to pick up radio signals.

However for things like video games, portable CD players, calculators, battery rechargers etc. they sure are a blessing in terms of size reduction. It's a long way from the old AC/DC tube radios that use a big dropper resistor in series with the tube filaments.... [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 01-07-2003).]

S
Sounds like you need Dr. Ferd's wart remover . Musicians have been using these for years.

[Linked Image from img.musiciansfriend.com]

SD

[This message has been edited by strangedog (edited 01-09-2003).]

SD
It is best for a leader to be both feared and loved. But since this usually cannot be done, it is safer to be feared.
W
Shop around. Those transformer adapters are available fairly cheap and 2 weeks ago, I bought a hand full for $2.99 each at this computer store.

http://microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0106917

I
lwinter31, a quality 15 amp receptical is rated 20 amp feed tru, but I pigtail on the rough too, mostly for speed of the finish.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard