ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
sparky #197923 12/31/10 08:22 PM
L
Originally Posted by sparky
interesting Tesla

i did sit before my accountant yesterday, she dug me up some individual in another office that stated 'yeah, we can do DB payroll' , but didn't sound overly excited about it

So now i know it's doable from an accounting standpoint, yet am just learning of these lead lag specifics

methinks [color:#C0C0C0]the firm that solicited me knows this. They called me looking for a 'little guy' , openly expressing their discontent with numbers they recieved from the 'big guys' (which perhaps are out of state, because most electrical outfits in VT are mom/pop shops)[/color]

my spidey sense is tingling....

~S~

This alone ,would make me run !!!!

The way things are now. Who has a 90-120 day capital?

These folks aren't dumb,Looking out for themselves regardless of who becomes the victim.
There IS A REASON the big shops charge,it aint just the overhead.

Last edited by leland; 12/31/10 08:23 PM. Reason: color RED
Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
leland #197931 12/31/10 11:26 PM
~s~:

Are you going anywhere with this?

I'm curious!

John
HotLine1 #197933 01/01/11 11:38 AM
S
sparky Offline OP
i dunno HotOne, i did do a little reasearch and came up with the firm running the show>

http://hamiltongroup2000.com/index.html

here's a pix of the job>

[Linked Image from hamiltongroup2000.com]

Basically, what i do get is the subsidary firm in charge of 'lectrical installs (Atlantic Power) doesn't have a license up here

and i've already been given the heads up from the state that a few unlicensed sorts have been given the boot

so i guess it's not too hard to put that together , and why they want me

The first job here is a 6000 amp service, 4000A @ 480/277, 2000A @ 208/120. The head honcho calls me up and asks if i can make a parts list (all i have is a line diagram) , and get started.

I shot back that most jobs this size are usually engineered, and then go through the state's plan review, which he eventually conceeded to, and supposedly is in the process of

I don't have the capital to walk into a job this size, nor is any supplier or banker going to extend me it, unless i want to put up my house for collateral

So, i e-mailed them my terms, the only terms i can really do

I'll sub out to them as a foreman, it all gets done by the book, i figure (including myself) 2 licenses, 2 apprentices minimum for 4-6 months (depending on whatever else they have for a job there aside from the service)on thier payroll

there's enough hungry sparkies up here surviving on serv calls right now, so shaking the tree won't be hard ( and who wouldn't want to apprentice a while on a job like this?)

further, i placed a huge emphasis on safety, the whole 9 yards (i've already been boning up, because if you're solo like me, you don't always pay attention like one should)

and all the heavy toolage, pullers, benders, manlifts, etc are rented to them as well

so, about all that i'll get outta this (if they accept my terms) is a T&M paycheck, but that's really all i'm looking for anyways, i'm just not willing to cheese anything out yanno, why should I?

~S~

Last edited by Webmaster; 01/03/11 09:54 PM. Reason: (fixed link)
sparky #197936 01/01/11 06:27 PM
~s~:
Sounds flat out like their looking for a much needed guy with a State Lic.! Here, (NJ) any sort of 'deal'like that has to go before the Board, with all the required paperwork, and get an approval....beforehand. That's a 3 to 6 month process here, without them finding any 'issues'.

Your scenario above sounds like it could be a good gig, IF they are OK with your terms.

Unless someone is in really good financial shape, floating a substantial job in todays economic conditions is really tough. Using personal security (ie: your home) could turn into a really bad situation quite quickly.

I know from experience (before the economic explosion) floating a substantial payroll (75+k) & having a principal 'miss' a timely payment can wreck havoc on a six figure credit line real fast.

I wish you good luck! May your terms be agreeable, or negotiable, and hopefully a good run into the upcoming spring.

John
HotLine1 #197939 01/02/11 10:23 AM
S
sparky Offline OP
thanks Hotone. I didn't even consider the licensing senario with the state, but i know the ahj rather well, we came up in the trade together, so i'll be informing him of the 'deal' if indeed it does happen.

My terms stipulate that it will be my permit btw. I did that so i could have some level of control. I also turned down the 'incentive' they've offered, because it introduces strings i'd rather not be subject to

I also found out this is a fed stimulus job, high profile for my area. So it's very political, all these sorts involved are talking about having the Govenor cut the ribbon, etc

I'm just looking for work, didn't pay myself for 4 months last spring, and i'm far from alone. There's plenty of accountant firms up here they can solicit, so keeping it simple, we (the crew) show up on monday, get checks cut on friday.

let's try that pix again>

[Linked Image from hamiltongroup2000.com]

sparky #197941 01/02/11 06:15 PM
~s~:
I know the score..."keeping it simple, we (the crew) show up on monday, get checks cut on friday".

After 25+ years of being "self employed" & having a payroll to make, bills to pay, etc., I can tell you it's nice to get a paycheck every other Wed.

Nice pic BTW. A former factory type bldg facing conversion and return to the local tax roles.

John
sparky #197942 01/02/11 07:50 PM
Cat Servant
This thread has expanded a bit ... so I thought I'd point out some of the additional 'pitfalls' that this particular project is going to entail:

Watch out for certification requirements. These include:

You, and every lead man, will need the 30-hr OSHA certificate. Every worker will need the OSHA 10-hr. certificate.

Being a remodel, you will need EPA lead certification, and work areas will need to be tented off.

In addition, the asbestos issue will come up.

As a government project, expect LEED, or other 'green' issues, to arise. These may severely restrict your access to the site, and greatly complicate trash disposal and materials purchasing.

Don't be surprised if the phone/data/cable work needs a BICSI-certified installer.

S
sparky Offline OP
good point Reno

and that may just be the deal breaker for me, unless being self taught is acceptable

thanks

~S~

sparky #201422 05/31/11 10:11 PM
S
sparky Offline OP
Job update,

well, it's been a while since i've been on a job this big. I can honestly say i was rather worried about being slow on the draw, and did quite a lot of safety related reading, but methinks now all that angst might have been in vain. Right now, this is the biggest job in southern Vermont, every bureaucrat , agency , and especially politican has made a point of imparting their blessings here. I call it the world leader training ground.

I started out in the winter setting up the temp for the job, it was a particulary bad winter here, with grumblings from the most stoic old farts. So, per usual, the zoot suits, mucklucks, and goofy hats were the order of the day, along with hammer drills for frost, shoveling to meter locations, etc. The entire project fronts the river /mainstreet, the back has all the old millhouses which are now low rent, along with a number of condemed derelic buildings left unoccupied. I have had no less than one man per day walk up to me as i working the ugly side asking for employment. At that time , i was the only participant, other than two locals , Ted & Bob ,who had been hired at the start of demolition phase, almost 3 years back.

Meanwhile, the powers that be started out with illegals here. They were put up in one of the abandoned buildings , which were purchased for them for a song, and worked 7 days a week until the border patrol outsed the lot of them, with one young man transported to Canada, and summarily dumped with a $50 bill, couresty of the state of VT. Calling in explaining his court date was something like 17 months off, Ted took pity and went up to fetch the young buck , assumably he's made his way back home.

The demolition phase left much of the older structure open to the weather, which wouldn't be a concern save for the 4160 UG primary and Xformers that enter from the street and are positioned on the lowest central level , constantly under the threat of deluge this spring. There was much in the way of sump pumps , as well as roof drain maintenance this spring. Over a number of years, the demoltion has resulted in this service having multiple tentacles shut down without any LOTO, some nema 1 JB's out in the weather wrapped in garbadge bags, some open/hanging 4/0 or lager runs with icelces melting The 'metal men' literally swept through shutting off , and pulling out whatever CU or AL they could, leaving what they couldn't. I don't think i've seen a bigger electrical hazard in my entire carear run right on under the noses of so many people who should, by rights, have mentioned it

Next came the HB-1 legal aliens. They'll work a striaght 14 days, then go back to Virgina (or wherever) for a week off. It kinda pisses me off that so many locals have asked me who/what/where is the job deal, only to have them realize these folks beat them out, but it's all on the up/up, and to be honest , looking at the letter of the HB1 law, who wouldn't want to take advantage of it? One apparently being somewhat intimidated, left the other day on the excuse of not agreeing with Vermont water. The notion of a Mexican unable to digest Vt water was something of a chuckle on the job

The only downside here is that breaking all the rules seems to be a badge of honor, even the inspectors that find unlicensed workers (other than 'lectrical) seem politically hobbled from busting a move. OSHA as well as the EPA have had their say as well, i'm hearing both aren't pleased of late, it's like some sort of standoff. One can smell the consumation of big $$$ and political influence having it off ....

Anyways, the son & and i are on our best behaviour here, wearing all our safety bells and whistles. It's a good job to be apprenticed on, and he's all signed up and bona fide with the state's blessings (i guess the #'s are down) I'm trying my best to impart to him what i can of the trade, particularly the safety aspects. I was brought into this trade at a time when such ideals weren't a very big concern, very few educational avenues existed. And while I don't see eye/eye with the shill safety biz, i do think a tad different when my own flesh/bloods doin' the tool belt strut, and am having to stand my ground and serve as example , good for me to clean up my act as well, eh?.

Wish me luck fella's

~S~

sparky #201429 05/31/11 10:47 PM
~s~:
Yes, best of luck to you & your son!! Sounds like you are in a real class "A" project! Kinda shocking to me that 'locals' are not being utilized, and the 'misplaced froeign travelers' and visiting foreign travelers are given work, and some eyes are blind. The housing in the abandoned building must have been real cute. That would last about an hour after the dime was dropped here.

I have to tell you that I was in the same spot as you with the safety stuff in my early days, as most of the guys I came up with. Today is a different animal.

Stay safe, & keep 'the kid' safe....and watch out for....ICE!!

John
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard