ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
SJT Offline OP
When a New Bldg.(industrial)is constructed with steel eye beams, does the connection to the beams need to be above ground level (not buried). I've seen a lot of Bldgs. with the exothermic connection above the ground. Is it by Code, to have them accesible? Or can this connection be below grade?
Thanks - Good Day

Cat Servant
Oddly enough, this seems to be addressed in the 2011 changes. It appears that simply having the mounting bolts of the columns in the concrete is enough- and if they're tied to the rebar with ordinary tie wire, that's certainly enough.

That sadi, I've only given the changes a quick review, and have not reviewed the code in any detail - so my understanding my be incomplete.

SJT:
Having the GEC (earth) connection visable for the electrical inspector may be a concern. A lot of times, the footings, etc., are already backfilled before any elec inspections are called for.

Here in NJ, the Building Inspector IS required to inspect the ufer connection(s) when he does footing/foundation inspection(s).

Also, keep in mind that the electricians may not be 'on site' for the footings/foundations to install any grounding. Additionally, there may be changes in locations, or a GEC installed at a 'wrong' location.

John
S
SJT Offline OP
Thanks, I will check to find out exactly how the ufer ground was ran and how they picked up the eyebeams.

Originally Posted by HotLine1

Here in NJ, the Building Inspector IS required to inspect the ufer connection(s) when he does footing/foundation inspection(s).

My jurisdiction is same. San Francisco bay area.

Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live

T
The last time I faced this issue I bonded to the big steel above ground.

It was no hassle, and a cheaper procedure.

Because of water bonding and gas bonding, above ground bonding was in the plans.

Jumping over a couple of feet to clamp the big steel was no effort.

I'm scratching my head trying to figure out why you'd be so interested in having this bond done underground. From my experience, it would almost always be more expensive. Only exothermic or listed trick connectors would meet Code. By comparison it's quick and cheap to 'tag' the big iron above ground - usually in the electrical room -- or right next door.

Explain it to me.

Tesla

Link Copied to Clipboard