ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
someguy Offline OP
Hi,

What is the difference between an Electrician and an Electrical Contractor. Thanks for the help.

G
Someguy, In general, an electrical contractor is an electrician who is state or locally licensed. An electrician is someone who works for the electrical contractor who is not licensed but has several years of experience and training. He could also be an industrial and/or plant maintainence electrician who is not licensed.In most places it is the license that makes the difference. Just my 2 cents.

B
In WA State;
Electrician is a licensed person who must work for an electrical contractor.
Electricial Contractor is anybody or company (electrician or not)licensed to do electrical work. The electrical contractor, however, must have an electrical administrator who is equivalent to a master electrician and is licensed as such.
Bob

S
someguy Offline OP
So typicaly you become and electrician, then you become a master electrician, and then you become an electrical contractor?

G
Bob's probably closer to right for a lot of places than I am. In Ga. the only people licensed are titled electrical contractors, there are nojourneymen or masters licenses.

E
Someguy,

In going to the link that Arseegee provided - ( http://www.state.fl.us/dbpr/pro/elboard/elec_index.shtml )
I followed a link to the Florida Electrical Contractors Licensing Board and I found:
The 2002 Florida Statutes
Title XXXII
REGULATION OF PROFESSIONS AND OCCUPATIONS
Chapter 489 CONTRACTING
489.505 Definitions.

(12) "Electrical contractor" or "unlimited electrical contractor" means a person who conducts business in the electrical trade field and who has the experience, knowledge, and skill to install, repair, alter, add to, or design, in compliance with law, electrical wiring, fixtures, appliances, apparatus, raceways, conduit, or any part thereof, which generates, transmits, transforms, or utilizes electrical energy in any form, including the electrical installations and systems within plants and substations, all in compliance with applicable plans, specifications, codes, laws, and regulations. The term means any person, firm, or corporation that engages in the business of electrical contracting under an express or implied contract; or that undertakes, offers to undertake, purports to have the capacity to undertake, or submits a bid to engage in the business of electrical contracting; or that does itself or by or through others engage in the business of electrical contracting.
It seems in your state that things are all mushed together in the EC license.

Any one else working in Florida want to chime in?

Al

Al Hildenbrand
S
an EC 'thinks' the trade 24/7
[Linked Image]

489.516 Qualifications to practice; restrictions; prerequisites.--

(1) Any person who desires to engage in electrical or alarm system contracting on a statewide basis shall, as a prerequisite thereto, establish his or her competency and qualifications to be certified pursuant to this part. To establish competency, a person shall pass the appropriate examination administered by the department. Any person who desires to engage in contracting on other than a statewide basis shall, as a prerequisite thereto, be registered pursuant to this part, unless exempted by this part.

(2) No person who is not certified or registered shall engage in the business of contracting in this state.

Tom Offline
When an electrical contractor goes home, the job goes with him. When an electrician clocks out, the job stays behind.

When an electrician ends an 8 hour day, the small electrical contractor still has several hours of paperwork, material & tool handling to look forward to.

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
Here in NJ,a "Electrical Contractor" is an individual that has taken the mandated test, passed it, and received his "license". After you have a "license" you must have a "Business Permit" to do electrical work.

One business permit per licensed electrical contractor.

Like everybody above^ said, the "contractor" is the "business man". Many great electricians cannot be good EC's (heard that somewhere)

Guess that's why I'm at the computer at 8:00PM

John

John
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard